RE: [new_distillers] alcoholometer

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2002
      Because its only measuring density / specific gravity, then it would be
      hard to tell what its exactly sitting in.

      Eg say its telling you the tails are at "40%" - ie SG = 0.935

      But the various fractions in there might be ...

      water : SG = 1.000
      ethanol : SG = 0.789
      propanol : SG = 0.804
      butanol : SG = 0.805
      etc, etc, through the many hundreds of likely players

      there are many different ways/proportions of mixing them to get a total of
      0.935

      How much physically do we expect of these other fractions ? Maybe theres
      only a couple of mL of them, but we notice their odour at really low
      thresholds ?

      Tony