Re: I'm new

  • tarvus@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 20, 2000
      --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, cummingsc@h... wrote:
      > Wow. You sold me. I think I'll give it a try using a similar set
      up.
      > A couple of questions.
      > 1. How do you connect your tower to the lid of the pot?

      I drilled out the rivets holding the handle on the lid which happened
      to match up exactly with the bolt holes on a 2" threaded flange. A
      male copper threaded fitting soldered to the column end threads
      neatly into the female threads of the flange. I cut a 2" hole in the
      lid, drilled a couple of extra bolt holes and cut a gasket from a
      piece of natural red rubber gasket material (silicone caulk would
      probably work just as well). A plywood circle (with 2" center hole)
      cut just a tad less than the diameter of the lid is sandwiched on top
      of the rubber gasket below the flange. This provides stability and
      compression for the gasket over a wider area than would the flange
      alone. 4 stainless steel bolts with flat washers, lock washers and
      wing nuts complete the attachment.

      > 2. Are there any problems with the pot being aluminum? Taste?
      > Cleaning ease? A previous posting made it sound like aluminum can
      be
      > high maintenance. Should I try to find a stainless steel pot?

      I use the same aluminum pot for my boiler when beer brewing. There
      is no taste from the aluminum (and no - it won't cause Alzheimers).
      Clean up is with plain water and a green scrubbie and is quick and
      easy. Stainless would be fine to use as well - whichever you prefer
      and is most readily available. Aluminum is a lot less expensive than
      stainless though, which is why I chose it. I'm a firm believer in
      using a large boiler (run less often, but in bigger batches), and for
      the same cost, you can most likely buy a bigger aluminum than
      stainless boiler.

      My whole rig sits on three concrete cinder blocks for stability and I
      heat on a propane burner - similar to the turkey boilers you see at
      hardware stores. I run 15 gallons of wash or less (usually 12-13)
      through the 20 gallon boiler and never have any problems with the
      wash boiling up into the column - even if I chose to run the burner
      flat out (which I don't in the interest of purity of product).

      I could run even larger washes than this, but I use 15 gallon
      fermenters and allow 2 or 3 gallons of head room in the fermenters to
      allow for foam-overs. So a normal distilling day consists of 2 runs
      of 12-13 gallons each, then a 50% dilution with water and an
      additional re-distillation of the product. (Sometimes I spread this
      over two days because of the time involved) I don't use activated
      carbon, so the second distillation is used to further purify my
      distillate. I routinely get 94-95% whether I use 1 or 2 runs, but
      the spirit doesn't seem to require cleaning with 2 runs - tastes
      cleaner than any premium vodka I have ever had.

      One final suggestion - add a ball valve and drain to your boiler
      (especially if you are using a large boiler). It greatly simplifies
      draining the dregs and clean up after a distilling session.

      Let me know if you have questions. I'll be happy to share my
      construction or distillation techniques.

      Tar

      > --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, tarvus@m... wrote:
      > > --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, dball1@g... wrote:
      > >
      > > > In looking for a boiler, I considered using a turkey fryer.
      They
      > > are
      > > > the "rage". Anyway, I found one company that is selling 40 and
      > 60
      > > > quart stainless steel fryers. With burners. Sounds like a neat
      > way
      > > > to go... just have to have a way to seal the lid. Has anyone
      > tried
      > > > that? Let me know.
      > >
      > > I use an 80 quart aluminum boiler - very similar to the turkey
      > fryers
      > > you mention. Sealing the lid is simple. Use a length of clear
      > vinyl
      > > tubing the same length as the circumference of the rim of the
      > > boiler. Slit it lengthwise and slip it over the rim to act as a
      > > gasket. I use a doughball made from the center of a slice of
      white
      > > bread to putty up the joint of the vinyl gasket where the two
      ends
      > > butt together. Five little 99 cent C-clamps secure the lid to
      the
      > > rim of the boiler.
      > >
      > > Easy to rig, easy to disassemble, and easy to clean!
      > >
      > > I don't know of a US source for turbo yeast or activated carbon.
      > If
      > > you find one, share it with us!
      > >
      > > Tarvus
    • chemist2421gt
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 9, 2002
        hello everybody!

        I've just started distilling. I've got only one problem, I don't have
        a still. Can anyone give me some instructions so I can build my own
        still? It must be a very simple, easy to build, cheap still.

        Thanks

        Emiel

        Nieuwkoop, the Netherlands
      • oldtileman
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009
          I'm new to "groups" and to distilling.

          I have been brewing beer and making wine for many years and want to begin to distill. I am in the process of making a valved reflux still like the one shown at www.moonshine-still.org. My first question is shouldn't the still column be well insulated? Secondly, I intend to use open flame propane as a heat source. Should I collect the distillate immediately below the collection valve or should I pipe it further from the burner. My column will sit on top of a 15.5 gallon beer keg.

          Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.

          Old Tile Man
        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009

            OTM,

            I personally use internal electric elements, however, many on these groups use flame to heat and it necessary to observe  strict safety rules when doing this as you are producing something like “PETROL” when distilling for ethanol and is just as flammable and explosive so the basic safety rules are:

            1. have a well ventilated to distil in as vapour will flow invisibly around you
            2. have an extinguisher available suitable for petrol or solvent fires remember that water will spread a solvent fire
            3. Do not smoke near the still or containers of High ABV Grog as a butt accidently dropped in or near your high ABV grog can cause fires or explosions
            4. Do not drink and distil-a lapse of attention or a little snooze could cause a fire or explosion
            5. keep a clear area around the still-to stop tripping or knocking over anything

            So to answer your question you collection point needs to be well clear of a naked Flame…..

            Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009
              First off, OTM (If I may call you that), you've found the right place and welcome. If you're already a brewer and winemaker, you're halfway there, and if you brew allgrain, you're 5/8 there.

              The link you posted is not active right now, so I can't see the still, but I also still over propane, and my still is configured to collect perhaps 18" off to the side of the propane flame. I think if you pipe output off to the side, you're making your rig safer, and that's good.

              May I assume with that valved-reflux rig you're looking to make vodka?

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "oldtileman" <oldtileman@...> wrote:

              > I'm new to "groups" and to distilling.
              >
              > I have been brewing beer and making wine for many years and want to begin to distill. I am in the process of making a valved reflux still like the one shown at www.moonshine-still.org. My first question is shouldn't the still column be well insulated? Secondly, I intend to use open flame propane as a heat source. Should I collect the distillate immediately below the collection valve or should I pipe it further from the burner. My column will sit on top of a 15.5 gallon beer keg.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.
              >
              > Old Tile Man

            • oldtileman
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009
                Ken,

                Thanks for the information. All points are understood and well taken. I intend to "cook" in a well ventilated area and will certainly observe all safety suggestions.

                My original intent was to make a run of 1/4" copper tubing from the collection valve, down the column, across the top of the pot and then down at a 45 degree angle to floor-level for collection. After a review of that plan, and in consideration of the length of tubing that would be flowing liquid (the time lag would be extreme), I decided that a proper collection device could be securely fitted immediately below the collection valve to catch the distillate immediately after it passes from the condensing chamber. This position would be about 4 1/2 feet above the flame and, in my less than well founded experience, should be a safe location.

                Am I asking for trouble?

                OTM

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

                > OTM,
                >
                > I personally use internal electric elements, however, many on these groups
                > use flame to heat and it necessary to observe strict safety rules when
                > doing this as you are producing something like "PETROL" when distilling for
                > ethanol and is just as flammable and explosive so the basic safety rules
                > are:
                >
                > 1. have a well ventilated to distil in as vapour will flow invisibly
                > around you
                > 2. have an extinguisher available suitable for petrol or solvent fires
                > remember that water will spread a solvent fire
                > 3. Do not smoke near the still or containers of High ABV Grog as a butt
                > accidently dropped in or near your high ABV grog can cause fires or
                > explosions
                > 4. Do not drink and distil-a lapse of attention or a little snooze
                > could cause a fire or explosion
                > 5. keep a clear area around the still-to stop tripping or knocking over
                > anything
                >
                > So to answer your question you collection point needs to be well clear of a
                > naked Flame...
                >

                > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
                >

                > _____

              • oldtileman
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009
                  Bob,

                  Certainly, you may call me OTM. Please review my earlier response to Ken.

                  I first intend to cook off some all-grain beer that I don't like. As an exercise I want to get the distillate as pure as possible.

                  Then I have a batch of red wine that I want to cook off. For that one, I want to try to detune the reflux and retain some of the characteristics of the grape. If that's not possible, I will make a pot still head to fasten to my cooker. The intricacy of the valved reflux interested me. I am a bit of a machinist and set about to build the thing because it was pretty! My ultimate goal is to try to make scotch with it if it can be successfully detuned. If not, I'm going to make a pot still head and then I'll have either and can play accordingly!

                  Thanks for your help!

                  OTM

                  > First off, OTM (If I may call you that), you've found the right place and welcome. If you're already a brewer and winemaker, you're halfway there, and if you brew allgrain, you're 5/8 there.
                  >
                  > The link you posted is not active right now, so I can't see the still, but I also still over propane, and my still is configured to collect perhaps 18" off to the side of the propane flame. I think if you pipe output off to the side, you're making your rig safer, and that's good.
                  >
                  > May I assume with that valved-reflux rig you're looking to make vodka?
                  >
                  > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "oldtileman" <oldtileman@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm new to "groups" and to distilling.
                  > >
                  > > I have been brewing beer and making wine for many years and want to begin to distill. I am in the process of making a valved reflux still like the one shown at www.moonshine-still.org. My first question is shouldn't the still column be well insulated? Secondly, I intend to use open flame propane as a heat source. Should I collect the distillate immediately below the collection valve or should I pipe it further from the burner. My column will sit on top of a 15.5 gallon beer keg.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.
                  > >
                  > > Old Tile Man

                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009

[...]

                    I am sure guys like Zymurgy Bob can steer you to a picture of their particular setups that allow for safe collection of distillate away from the naked flame…..have fun in this hobby and keep the questions coming even if you think they a silly or basic we have heard them all before

                    Ken Mc

                  • jay lagasse
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 21, 2009
                      Hi Thomas,

                      This thread reminds me of one that popped up about a year ago.  See message #31440.  The valuable lesson that I took from it was that water might be the best thing to use in order to put out an alcohol fire.  Since alcohol instantly absorbs water, it is unlike other flammable liquids like gasoline, which when doused with water, would spread the flames.  Douse an alcohol fire with water and you instantly reduce the abv and it's ability to burn.

                      I have retrofitted an old extinguisher to blow water instead of supressant just for this purpose but a garden hose on standby would be just as good or better.

                      Jay

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 22, 2009
                        Jay,

                        Thanks for the advice.  I will certainly be cautious and will keep a water hose at hand.

                        OTM

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 23, 2009

                          Welp OTM,

                          Having to use a water hose water hose when distilling is like closing the Barn Doors after the cows got in the corn...  (if you get the chance to use it.....)

                          The primary prevention is efficient ventilation to the outside, using electricity or doing your distilling outside (like I do - even with electricity).  Remember - a liter or so of high ABV vapors is equal to a stick or 2 of dynamite in a confined area.  (a Harry statement)

                          Even the Big boys have problems:

                          When Fire Becomes Master

                          This is what happens in distilleries when fire gets out of control.  Which proves beyond doubt that even the most carefully thought out and rigorously applied safety rules can sometimes not be enough to prevent a catastrophe.

                          The message is clear.  Never become complacent about distilling, and never leave a working still unattended.  Ignore this advice and this could easily be your home.

                          1997  Heaven Hill Distillery Bardstown Kentucky.

                          This photo is from the 1997 fire at Heaven Hill Distillery. (photos courtesy of The Kentucky Standard).

                          Another photo from the Heaven Hill fire. Kentucky Standard staff members at the scene reported huge fireballs of unburnt alcohol that were forced hundreds of feet into the air until they found oxygen to combust.

                           The warehouse was previously a brewery but had been turned into a gin and vodka distillery prior to the fire.

                          G & J Greenall has been based in the North West since 1761

                          2006  Greenall's Distillery
                          Cheshire England

                          This is what's left after an arsonist set it alight.  Proving once again that alcohol is a highly flammable fuel.  All it needs is air (oxygen) and an ignition source (flame or spark).

                          Vino es Veritas,

                          Jim aka Waldo.

                        • Tile Man
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 23, 2009
                            Harry,

                            I get the point.  I do intend to use good ventillation.  I may also surround my collection container with a series of cooling coils to keep the temperature of the distillate down and thus hold the vapor pressure to a minimum.  I sure don't want to set off a big bang!

                            Thanks,

                          • alan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 11, 2009
                              Hello all! I have been doing alot of reading,researching,and question asking and have finally constructed my first still out a 16qt aluminum pressure cooker. I'm using a 1000watt single-burner hot plate and I have already performed my pressure-test with water which passed with flying colors! I have a 1gal. thumper but I am concerned that this may be too large. Any thoughts? BTW--The recipe I intend to use is a 10-gal batch that yeilds 2 gals.