Re: Changing the taste of the hooch

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
      Ummmmmmmm Okeys Bill - have some fun....

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "BILL1BURP" <bill1burp@...>
      wrote:

      "I am thinking of taking some of my hooch, about 500 ml and putting
      someof those jack danels wood chips from the barrels in it and
      letting is soak for a day or two and see what it taste like. What do
      you folks say?"

      -Me says after a day or 2 you will end up with some funny yellowish
      colored neutral alcohol. Aging on charred oak takes about 6-8 weeks
      minimum (peferably a year or 2) and is only done with Whiskeys, Rums,
      Brandies etc (ie. something that was fermented and distilled with
      grains or fruit and flavors). Not a sugar wash based, neutral
      alcohol...

      "Also thinking of taking about 300 ml in a sauce pan and adding some
      lemon peel and some honey, then heating it up just a bit to infuse the
      flavors into the hooch. Again what do you folks think?"

      -Me thinks you will loose most of your 83% alcohol by heating it up
      in an open saucepan and end up with a lemon / honey sauce, that may
      be used for a Crepe Suzette Sunday Breakfast.
      What your trying to do is called "Maceration" and is done in an
      enclosed bottle at room temperature over several days, weeks or
      more... Read up on maserating flavors in alcohol.

      "I was also thinking of taking about 300 ml and adding some
      raspberries and a touch of sugar, not much and infuse the flavors,
      again what do you thing folks."

      -Me thing see statement above....

      "I am just trying some new taste with the hooch. I do not want to buy
      the premade crap in a bottle. I want the real flavors that I make."

      Me thinks you should drink up your first batch as made, and while
      doing so and enjoying, read up on flavoring neutral spirits by
      maceration - many posting on this subject are on this site, Advanced
      Distillers, Tony's site and Harry's Library to name a few.....

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.
    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "BILL1BURP" <bill1burp@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking of taking some of my hooch, about 500 ml and putting some
        > of those jack danels wood chips from the barrels in it and letting is
        > soak for a day or two and see what it taste like. What do you folks say?
        >
        > Also thinking of taking about 300 ml in a sauce pan and adding some
        > lemon peel and some honey, then heating it up just a bit to infuse the
        > flavors into the hooch. Again what do you folks think?
        >
        > I was also thinking of taking about 300 ml and adding some raspberries
        > and a touch of sugar, not much and infuse the flavors, again what do
        > you thing folks.
        >
        > I am just trying some new taste with the hooch. I do not want to buy
        > the premade crap in a bottle. I want the real flavors that I make.
        >

        > The best for last
        > BILL1BURP

        Bill,
        The Jack Daniels Chips are a good Idea. I use them myself although I
        have come to like my drink aged white for a month or 2. If you use
        them it will take more than a couple of days to get any flavor from
        them. A couple of months is more like it. Keep in mind that Jack
        sits in those Barrels for 4 or more years to get its flavor. Also I
        char the bare wood with a propane torch on all sides. I use about 5
        of the large chips from the bag to a quart of 140 proof. Put the jar
        in a place where the temp fluctuates alot. That will speed things up
        a little.

        As far as the lemon peels go. There was a lengthy discussion in
        December on lemonchello on one of these 2 lists. you should search
        that out.
        For fruit I prefer Strawberries, Peaches, Apricots, Tangerines. In
        that order. Still it needs to age in the dark for a month to smooth
        out a little. Peel the peaches, leave the skin on the tangerines.
        No seeds allowed.
        Experiment and have fun.

        Mason
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
          Here Bill,

          Being a lover of citron flavored vodka and drinks - especially during
          the hot summer months, I have done this and it came out very nice.
          This is a traditional Italian Limoncello recipe - which is considered
          the National drink of Italy, just like Bourbon is considered the
          National American Liquor.
          (not Lemonchello - thats Americanized Mason - sorry couldnt
          resist :):):).

          Italian Limoncello

          15 lemons*
          2 bottles (750 ml) 100-proof vodka**
          4 cups sugar
          5 cups water

          * Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.

          ** Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one.
          Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not
          turn to ice in the freezer.

          Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
          reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.

          Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there
          is no white pith on the peel. NOTE: Use only the outer part of the
          rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind, is too bitter and
          would spoil your limoncello. Check out my web page on How to Zest.

          Step One:
          In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka; add the
          lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room
          temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool
          dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There
          is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello
          sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of
          the lemon zest.

          Step Two:
          In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until
          thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before
          adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Add to the Limoncello mixture
          from Step One. Add the additional bottle of vodka. Allow to rest for
          another 10 to 40 days.

          Step Three:
          After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest.
          Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

          from: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
            PS. I prefer it a bit dry and strong, so i only add about 1/2 cup of
            sugar and 1 cup water...

            Jim.