Final run on my batch of 3

  • BILL1BURP
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
      Nice calculator, this will help me a lot on the final run. I will
      also do the alcoholmeter testing during the last run. Very good idea.

      It will be interesting to see where I am at during the 200 ml
      intervals.

      Thanks a bunch for the advice. I know from several other posts that
      its never trash until you throw it out. So never throw it out, FIX IT.

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP

      -------------------

      Re: Final run on my batch of 3

      WeeeHaaaa Bill,

      Ok, "Because I pulled foreshots on my strip runs, do I have to pull
      them again for safty?" The answer is no you dont - but in the
      future, dont make any cuts on the stripping runs (including heads and
      tails), and make all your cuts on the final run (be it the second or
      third).

      -No reason to add water to a 50% distillation as long as your still
      aint leaking and you have proper ventillation (ie - put that dang fan
      in and open your garage door some more).

      -Do not put 50% distilate in any plastic milk jug. Use only PET
      bottles or perferably glass.

      -Use your alcoholometer to watch your abv every 150/200 ml.

      -Dont try and rely on temperatures exclusivly, keep the still
      running so you get about 4 to 6 drops per second - if its comming out
      in a stream its too hot. Again, use that alcoholometer. See below.

      You said you ended up with with a gallon of about 50% abv. If you go
      to Tony's site at: http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm
      and plug in all the variables (use 4 liters at 50% - 1200 watts - at
      a 5 minute time step) it will give you a ball park idea where to make
      your cuts and at what temps. I would probably call anything after
      86.1C / 74% abv that comes out as your tails - this will give you
      about 2 liters at 78% abv.

      But since your putting some packing in, I would collect about 150/200
      ml at a time and use your alcoholometer to see where the abv is
      going. I perfer this method to relying totally on Tony's chart or
      temperature (along with tasting).

      Anyways, thats about all i can see on the first shot. Im sure when
      others read this there will be some additional comments to be added.

      But best of luck, and BE SAFE.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim