Re: My Pot Still Construction

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
      Welp Mike,

      Thinking back, when I first added packing, it increased the back
      pressure on the still head, and I found some vapors leaking out.
      Maybe this is what the problem is.

      You might want to do a run with water and the packing, then when it
      gets boiling full blast, take a wet rag and plug up the output spout
      till the pressure increased and see if theres any leaks.

      Thats how i found my problem.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
      <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

      > yea it blew my mind too! same still. same abv mash . same temp.
      just
      > lower proof,faster run,and cleaner rum. mike --- In
      > new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow Mike,
      > >
      > > That does seem kinda strange. Questions - are you using the same
      > > mash as the other run or was the abv of the mash the same, and
      did
      > > you run it at the same temps???
      > >
      > > When I put some scrubbers in my pot still upright (2 foot high -
      > > sorry, dont no nothing about marbles), the abv increased almost 7
      > > 10% abv at the heads and middle run (averaging 165 proof for
      heads
      > > and 150 to 130 proof for the middle (hearts) and 125 to 100 proof
      > for
      > > tails - but also less tails.
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > Jim.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
      > > <nenengstoute@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot
      still
      > > and
      > > > it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140
      > proof???
      > > > but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of
      > > tails
      > > > comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the
      > run.
      > > > mike the
      > > rumrunner -
      > > > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"