Final run on my batch of 3

  • BILL1BURP
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
      Jim you have my notes from my first 3 strip runs. Did I do my 3 runs
      correctly? Do you have any suggestions for future strip runs?

      My final run will be to add the 3 batches to the still and run them
      thru. I want to add about a cup of watter so I do not run my still
      try during the final run.

      These are my thoughts of how to do my final run.

      Add the copper scrubbers back into the column.
      Bring up slowly and hit the 175F degree mark and hold it.
      Pull your first 100 ml of foreshots
      Pull your second 100 ml for heads
      Collect everything up to 181F

      New glass and collect everything up to 191F for tails.
      Use the heads and tails for your next batch.

      Now for the questions.
      Because I pulled foreshots on my strip runs, do I have to pull them
      again for safty?

      Adding water to the final batch, will this be necessary because I ran
      my strip up to 203F before I shut it down?

      I have my 3 strip batches in glass bottles. Is there a problem
      putting the 50 ABV in those 1 gallon milk jugs that you get distilled
      water out of?

      Should I get my column temperature higher or lower on my final run?

      Sorry for all the questions. But yesterdays process gave me a lot to
      think about. I guess with the experience comes more questions.

      Thanks for you insight.

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP
    • weisst69
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
        Bill,

        Congrats on your first batch! I am new to the hobby as well. My
        question is this: Did you make cuts on your stripping runs? If so,
        why? I was under the impression that you can do a stripping run and
        just run it out, shutting down around 208F (98C). You may be able to
        save a little time on your next batch by only making the cuts on your
        spirit run.

        Still trying to make heads and tails of this myself,

        T-

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "BILL1BURP" <bill1burp@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
          WeeeHaaaa Bill,

          Ok, "Because I pulled foreshots on my strip runs, do I have to pull
          them again for safty?" The answer is no you dont - but in the
          future, dont make any cuts on the stripping runs (including heads and
          tails), and make all your cuts on the final run (be it the second or
          third).

          -No reason to add water to a 50% distillation as long as your still
          aint leaking and you have proper ventillation (ie - put that dang fan
          in and open your garage door some more).

          -Do not put 50% distilate in any plastic milk jug. Use only PET
          bottles or perferably glass.

          -Use your alcoholometer to watch your abv every 150/200 ml.

          -Dont try and rely on temperatures exclusivly, keep the still
          running so you get about 4 to 6 drops per second - if its comming out
          in a stream its too hot. Again, use that alcoholometer. See below.

          You said you ended up with with a gallon of about 50% abv. If you go
          to Tony's site at: http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm
          and plug in all the variables (use 4 liters at 50% - 1200 watts - at
          a 5 minute time step) it will give you a ball park idea where to make
          your cuts and at what temps. I would probably call anything after
          86.1C / 74% abv that comes out as your tails - this will give you
          about 2 liters at 78% abv.

          But since your putting some packing in, I would collect about 150/200
          ml at a time and use your alcoholometer to see where the abv is
          going. I perfer this method to relying totally on Tony's chart or
          temperature (along with tasting).

          Anyways, thats about all i can see on the first shot. Im sure when
          others read this there will be some additional comments to be added.

          But best of luck, and BE SAFE.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim

          wrote:

          > Jim you have my notes from my first 3 strip runs. Did I do my 3
          runs
          > correctly? Do you have any suggestions for future strip runs?
          >
          > My final run will be to add the 3 batches to the still and run them
          > thru. I want to add about a cup of watter so I do not run my still
          > try during the final run.
          >
          > These are my thoughts of how to do my final run.
          >
          > Add the copper scrubbers back into the column.
          > Bring up slowly and hit the 175F degree mark and hold it.
          > Pull your first 100 ml of foreshots
          > Pull your second 100 ml for heads
          > Collect everything up to 181F
          >
          > New glass and collect everything up to 191F for tails.
          > Use the heads and tails for your next batch.
          >
          > Now for the questions.
          > Because I pulled foreshots on my strip runs, do I have to pull them
          > again for safty?
          >
          > Adding water to the final batch, will this be necessary because I
          ran
          > my strip up to 203F before I shut it down?
          >
          > I have my 3 strip batches in glass bottles. Is there a problem
          > putting the 50 ABV in those 1 gallon milk jugs that you get
          distilled
          > water out of?
          >
          > Should I get my column temperature higher or lower on my final run?
          >
          > Sorry for all the questions. But yesterdays process gave me a lot
          > think about. I guess with the experience comes more questions.
          >
          > Thanks for you insight.
          >
          > The best for last
          > BILL1BURP

        • BILL1BURP
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
            Nice calculator, this will help me a lot on the final run. I will
            also do the alcoholmeter testing during the last run. Very good idea.

            It will be interesting to see where I am at during the 200 ml
            intervals.

            Thanks a bunch for the advice. I know from several other posts that
            its never trash until you throw it out. So never throw it out, FIX IT.

            The best for last
            BILL1BURP

            Re: Final run on my batch of 3