Re: using a standard water heater - plastic inside

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

      > 3. Replace it with a ¾ male 1in nipple, made of brass, and put a
      ball
      > valve on it.

      ...........If the brass is machined parts, you may also want to treat
      it to remove any surface lead. There's instructions somewhere around
      here. Do a search.

      > I would not recommend using a hot water tank as a pot still, as you
      > will never be able to get inside to clean it out properly.

      ...........I agree. If it's a new tank, it's not so bad. You can
      flush it and drain it after each run. But if it's a used tank, there
      WILL BE a buildup of mud in the bottom. No water supply is perfectly
      clean and many carry micron sized particles of clay, dirt, rust,
      giardia & other gunk that settles over time. I had occasion to
      backflush a 200 litre tank recently that had been in service for 6
      years. I got 5 litres of evil-smelling solids outta that thing. I
      wasn't intending to re-commission it as a still, and just as well.
      Can you imagine what that crap would do to a booze run? The mind (and
      stomach) boggles!

    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
        I would think that it could be cleaned out with care. The inside of
        the tank is glass lined, and so a vinegar solution and/or sodium
        carbonate solution and/or PBW (powdered brewery wash), should clean
        it.