Re: My Pot Still Construction

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 6:19 AM
      Wow Mike,

      That does seem kinda strange. Questions - are you using the same
      mash as the other run or was the abv of the mash the same, and did
      you run it at the same temps???

      When I put some scrubbers in my pot still upright (2 foot high -
      sorry, dont no nothing about marbles), the abv increased almost 7 to
      10% abv at the heads and middle run (averaging 165 proof for heads
      and 150 to 130 proof for the middle (hearts) and 125 to 100 proof for
      tails - but also less tails.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
      <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

      > i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot still
      and
      > it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140 proof???
      > but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of
      tails
      > comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the run.
      > mike the
      rumrunner -
      > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
      > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Shouldnt be a problem Brian,
      > >
      > > Ive added copper and /or stainless steel scrubbers in my pot
      still
      > for
      > > a bit of reflux and the sourmash came out fine. Matter of fact,
      > some of
      > > the old traditional Scotch and Bourbon stills had a large bubble
      > type
      > > head for just that purpose.
      > >
      > > One comment is that i wouldnt try doing it in just 1 run. Try
      > doing a
      > > stripping run first and take everything out for the low wines.
      > Then do
      > > your spirits spirits run with your cuts.
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > Jim.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bohannon"
      <bbb511us@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > My question is this. My still is in the process of being
      > constructed
      > > > out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey.
      What
      > if I
      > > > put a small length of filler in the column to get a small
      amount
      > of
      > > > reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch
      > column.
      > > > Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan
      > > only
      > > > make one run?

    • nenengstoute
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3 7:24 AM
        yea it blew my mind too! same still. same abv mash . same temp. just
        lower proof,faster run,and cleaner rum. mike --- In

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3 7:30 AM
          Welp Mike,

          Thinking back, when I first added packing, it increased the back
          pressure on the still head, and I found some vapors leaking out.
          Maybe this is what the problem is.

          You might want to do a run with water and the packing, then when it
          gets boiling full blast, take a wet rag and plug up the output spout
          till the pressure increased and see if theres any leaks.

          Thats how i found my problem.