Re: Substitute for Maltic Acid

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chevisn7" <chevisn7@...> wrote:
      > A neutral spirit recipe calls for 25 grams of Maltic Malic Acid. It also
      > states that Tartaric or Citric acid may be substituted. The recipe also
      > calls for .5 L of grape concentrate and .5 L of fresh orange juice.
      > According to what I have read Grape Juice and Orange Juice already
      > contain Tartaric and Citric acid. Is adding the additional 25 grams
      > overkill or would increasing the amount of Grape and Orange juice do
      > the same thing. Distillation will be with a valve reflux still to
      > produce a netural spirit.
      > Chuck

      I think you mean Malic Acid.

      Get yourself a digital pH meter (AUD$35 online) and adjust your mash to 5.5pH using any of the aforementioned food acids and/or juices and water.  The acid used is not as important as the effect, that of lowering the pH to the ideal acidity level to allow yeast to work while preventing bacteria from getting a foothold.  Since you're making neutral product, the possible flavour contributions of any acid are not an issue.

      About Malic Acid, Wiki says this...

      Apples contain malic acid, which contributes to the sourness of a green apple. Malic acid can make a wine taste tart, although the amount decreases with increasing fruit ripeness. The process of malolactic fermentation converts malic acid to much milder lactic acid.

      Malic acid, when added to food products, is denoted by E number E296. Malic acid is the source of extreme tartness in so called "extreme candy", for example Mega Warheads.

      [Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malate ]