Re: The wash is heating up

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      the higher temperature will not kill these yeasts. You will, however,
      produce a greater amount of congeners that you will have to deal with
      down the line.

      You can put salt in your sugar 'low wines'.

      It will have the unmistakeable effect of making you feel more salty
      sweet inside.

      As to increasing the effectiveness of separation. The best way to do
      this is to use the proper equipment and make the correct cuts.

      Bryan.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@...>
      wrote:

      > My heat in the house is 72 degrees. I started my wash this morning
      with
      > turbo 24, 14 pounds of sugar and 6 gallons of water. I have been
      > keeping an eye on the temp of my wash bucket and it is rising. It is
      > now up to 86 degrees.
      >
      > Is this reaction suppose to happen? How high should I let the temp go
      > before I get worried?
      >
      > The best for last
      > BILL1BURP

    • burrows206
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
        Hi BILL1BURP,
        Your 78 F is 22 C. and is good and OK for fermenting wine. But
        turbo is different and acts to the extremes. The very act and speed
        of the conversion of the sugar turning to alcohol then turning to Co2
        will have quite a few wanted and unwanted side effects. A bit like
        when you rub your hands together in cold weather they warm up with
        the friction which increases the blood flow to that area and makes
        you warmer, that's a wanted side effect.
        The same thing is happening to your yeast and sugar doing all
        that converting, cavorting and reproducing. And that, as we all know
        creates heat. Anyway moving swiftly along, the ambient room
        temperature needs to be lowered. So move the lot into the cellar,
        garage or somewhere cooler than the nice convenient place you have it
        residing, this animal you are breeding is not wine.
        It'll still heat up in the cooler atmosphere but the outside of your
        fermenter should disperse the heat build up in the cooler air.
        Now that should work OK for 25litres/5gallons but the bigger the
        quantity the more heat you will have to loose exponentially. For
        example 10 gallons you need to loose 4 times plus as much heat.
        Let me try to give you a simple example how this heat thing can
        grow out of all control:-
        A paving slab 2ft. x 2ft. = 4sq. feet.
        You would logically think to get twice the area you would double up
        the paving slab side measurements to 4ft. x 4ft. = 16sq. feet. This
        is 4 times the area you will end up with
        Now we are dealing with heat and volume in three dimensions
        which is more than the power of two and way beyond my capabilities.
        But we have the people here on this forum, who do know how to
        calculate this lot, so step up guys?
        The upshot of all this is, keep your fermenting turbo washes in
        manageable batches that you can distil in a reasonable time span
        Geoff

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
          This reaction is to be expected - especially with fast acting /
          attenuating yeasts like turbos (heat is one of the by-products of the
          sugar to alcohol / CO2 converstion.

          If you look at the yeast chart at:
          http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php
          you will see that 84F (30C) is at the upper limits of most of the
          strains temp range. Turbos are engineered to withstand extremes in
          temp and alcohol levels, but keep an eye on it. If it keeps gettting
          warmer, you might want to get a gallon ziplock freezer bag filled with
          ice, put it in your fermenter and cool it down now and then.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          wrote:

          > My heat in the house is 72 degrees. I started my wash this morning
          with
          > turbo 24, 14 pounds of sugar and 6 gallons of water. I have been
          > keeping an eye on the temp of my wash bucket and it is rising. It is
          > now up to 86 degrees.
          >
          > Is this reaction suppose to happen? How high should I let the temp go
          > before I get worried?
          >
          > The best for last
          > BILL1BURP

        • chevisn7
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
            I am also doing my first batch and was worried about the control of
            heat. I read an article about using a double insulated container
            where by the mash being fermented is placed in a tub filled with
            water. This tub has a aquarium heater in it set to 75 degrees. This
            tub is set inside another tub again filled with water but in the
            second tub cool water is allowed to trickle in at a slow but steady
            rate and flow out of a hose placed near the top. The combination will
            in theory control both cold and hot temperatures. So far my mix has
            maintained a constant temperature of 75 degrees. Your opinion on this
            set up controlling the higher temps created by using a turbo 24 or 48
            yeast.
            Chuck
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
            <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi BILL1BURP,
            > Your 78 F is 22 C. and is good and OK for fermenting wine.
            But
            > turbo is different and acts to the extremes. The very act and speed
            > of the conversion of the sugar turning to alcohol then turning to
            Co2
            > will have quite a few wanted and unwanted side effects. A bit like
            > when you rub your hands together in cold weather they warm up with
            > the friction which increases the blood flow to that area and makes
            > you warmer, that's a wanted side effect.
            > The same thing is happening to your yeast and sugar doing all
            > that converting, cavorting and reproducing. And that, as we all
            know
            > creates heat. Anyway moving swiftly along, the ambient room
            > temperature needs to be lowered. So move the lot into the cellar,
            > garage or somewhere cooler than the nice convenient place you have
            it
            > residing, this animal you are breeding is not wine.
            > It'll still heat up in the cooler atmosphere but the outside of
            your
            > fermenter should disperse the heat build up in the cooler air.
            > Now that should work OK for 25litres/5gallons but the bigger
            the
            > quantity the more heat you will have to loose exponentially. For
            > example 10 gallons you need to loose 4 times plus as much heat.
            > Let me try to give you a simple example how this heat thing
            can
            > grow out of all control:-
            > A paving slab 2ft. x 2ft. = 4sq. feet.
            > You would logically think to get twice the area you would double up
            > the paving slab side measurements to 4ft. x 4ft. = 16sq. feet. This
            > is 4 times the area you will end up with
            > Now we are dealing with heat and volume in three dimensions
            > which is more than the power of two and way beyond my
            capabilities.
            > But we have the people here on this forum, who do know how to
            > calculate this lot, so step up guys?
            > The upshot of all this is, keep your fermenting turbo washes
            in
            > manageable batches that you can distil in a reasonable time span
            > Geoff
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > My heat in the house is 72 degrees. I started my wash this
            morning
            > with
            > > turbo 24, 14 pounds of sugar and 6 gallons of water. I have been
            > > keeping an eye on the temp of my wash bucket and it is rising. It
            > is
            > > now up to 86 degrees.
            > >
            > > Is this reaction suppose to happen? How high should I let the
            temp
            > go
            > > before I get worried?
            > >
            > > The best for last
            > > BILL1BURP

          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hi Chuck,
              It's a bit difficult to visualize the set up you are proposing.
              Your temperature has stabilized out at 75 degrees so the problem
              seems to have solved itself. The only other conditions that I can
              see the turbo heating up and being enough of a problem to the yeast
              and cause adverse side effects is, that you may be making a lot
              bigger batch than is normal for personal consumption, or you live in
              a hot climate and are at present in your cooler winter period and are
              worried about the summer heat.
              Either way you are dealing with a heat transfer problem. The ¼"
              copper coil condensers that just drop into the top of a reflux still
              column would cool your turbo but maybe too much. If this were the
              case, you would have to incorporate some kind of electric temperature
              control device for the cooling water in the coil or switching it on
              or off to maintain an ideal ferment temperature
              It's Starting to get complicated now and I don't do complicated
              if I can get away with it. Use the KISS principle and move it to a
              cooler place. Down under ground were the temperature is cooler and
              more stable
              geoff

              Hi Chuck,
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chevisn7" <chevisn7@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > But we have the people here on this forum, who do know how to
              > > calculate this lot, so step up guys?
              > > The upshot of all this is, keep your fermenting turbo washes
              > in
              > > manageable batches that you can distil in a reasonable time span
              > > Geoff
              > >

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > My heat in the house is 72 degrees. I started my wash this
              > morning
              > > with
              > > > turbo 24, 14 pounds of sugar and 6 gallons of water. I have
              been
              > > > keeping an eye on the temp of my wash bucket and it is rising.
              It
              > > is
              > > > now up to 86 degrees.
              > > >
              > > > Is this reaction suppose to happen? How high should I let the

            • chevisn7
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
                Geoff;Thanks for the reply. My rig is basicially three buckets. One
                placed inside the other and each one a little larger than the other.
                The outer two are filled with water. The inside bucket is the mash.
                The second bucket has a heater to heat the water surrounding the mash
                in case it gets cold. The third is a cooler. It has circulating cool
                water to cool the water in the second bucket in case it gets to warm
                from the heat of the mash. The heater in the second bucket controls
                the heat and temp of the mash bucket. So far it seems to work pretty
                good. The batch I am currently making is 6 gallons and the heat seems
                to be under control. I am one of the lucky ones here in Florida as I
                have a basement. Thats a story in itself. The temp in the basement is
                pretty steady around 75 degrees most of the year even when it is
                Toasty outside. Its in the winter where we have problems. The daily
                temps can change as much as 40 degrees. Right now it goes from the
                mid 40s at night to around 78 during the day. Ill give my rig a try
                over the next few months and if successful at controling the heat
                generated by different types of yeasts Ill let everyone know. Your
                suggestion on using the cooling coil out of my condenser has got me
                pondering a few ideas. But I still have to deal with the cold at
                night. Ill let you know if I come up with anything.