After the strip run

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      I will be doing a strip run. Pot still with a sugar wash. I have been
      doing a bunch of reading about salt.

      Question
      I will do my strip run. Then I will do a slow run and take my time with
      it. I have considered putting about 1 tablespoon of table salt per
      gallon of wash on my second run.

      What do you folks think?
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
        Bill,

        Lets learn to walk before running okey buddy?

        The only effect salt has is to increase the boiling point of water.
        While this has the potential of giving you a bit higher abv in your
        distillate, the amount of salt you will need for any appreicable
        difference just aint worth it.

        "To raise the boiling point of one liter (34 ounces) of water by 1°C
        (1.8°F) requires about 58 grams (2 ounces) of salt. This is much more
        that the amount of salt typically added to boiling vegetables, which is
        done primarily for taste."

        from: http://www.seed.slb.com/qa2/FAQView.cfm?ID=1112

        So to increase you wash's boiling point by 1.8 degrees F would require
        about 8 ounces (1/2 lb per gallon) or almost 3 pounds of salt for your
        5.8 gallons of water you added... Your 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon
        will just make the wash taste a bit salty lol as Bryan stated....

        Heck, might as well get into the salt business :):):).

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@...>
        wrote:

        > I will be doing a strip run. Pot still with a sugar wash. I have been
        > doing a bunch of reading about salt.
        >
        > Question
        > I will do my strip run. Then I will do a slow run and take my time
        with
        > it. I have considered putting about 1 tablespoon of table salt per
        > gallon of wash on my second run.
        >
        > What do you folks think?

      • rye_junkie
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
          Well Said Jim. Bill you really need to get the basics down and get
          comfortable with this hobby and your Still before you make it all
          technical. I have made more than a few runs and 4 different Still
          columns and have never used salt or Baking soda or any of that off the
          wall experimental stuff. Some of that stuff on Tony's sight is "you
          can try" not "you must do", Thats why that stuff is posted near the
          end of the discussion on the subject, and is meant for the advanced
          distiller. Don't sweat the small stuff for now.

          If you want to make it technical start with something simple like
          inverting sugar, Mason