Re: My Pot Still Construction

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      Shouldnt be a problem Brian,

      Ive added copper and /or stainless steel scrubbers in my pot still for
      a bit of reflux and the sourmash came out fine. Matter of fact, some of
      the old traditional Scotch and Bourbon stills had a large bubble type
      head for just that purpose.

      One comment is that i wouldnt try doing it in just 1 run. Try doing a
      stripping run first and take everything out for the low wines. Then do
      your spirits spirits run with your cuts.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bohannon" <bbb511us@...>
      wrote:

      > My question is this. My still is in the process of being constructed
      > out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey. What if I
      > put a small length of filler in the column to get a small amount of
      > reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch column.
      > Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan to
      only
      > make one run?

    • nenengstoute
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
        i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot still and
        it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140 proof???
        but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of tails
        comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the run.
        mike the rumrunner -
        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          Wow Mike,

          That does seem kinda strange. Questions - are you using the same
          mash as the other run or was the abv of the mash the same, and did
          you run it at the same temps???

          When I put some scrubbers in my pot still upright (2 foot high -
          sorry, dont no nothing about marbles), the abv increased almost 7 to
          10% abv at the heads and middle run (averaging 165 proof for heads
          and 150 to 130 proof for the middle (hearts) and 125 to 100 proof for
          tails - but also less tails.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
          <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

          > i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot still
          and
          > it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140 proof???
          > but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of
          tails
          > comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the run.
          > mike the
          rumrunner -
          > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
          > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Shouldnt be a problem Brian,
          > >
          > > Ive added copper and /or stainless steel scrubbers in my pot
          still
          > for
          > > a bit of reflux and the sourmash came out fine. Matter of fact,
          > some of
          > > the old traditional Scotch and Bourbon stills had a large bubble
          > type
          > > head for just that purpose.
          > >
          > > One comment is that i wouldnt try doing it in just 1 run. Try
          > doing a
          > > stripping run first and take everything out for the low wines.
          > Then do
          > > your spirits spirits run with your cuts.
          > >
          > > Vino es Veritas,
          > > Jim.
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bohannon"
          <bbb511us@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > My question is this. My still is in the process of being
          > constructed
          > > > out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey.
          What
          > if I
          > > > put a small length of filler in the column to get a small
          amount
          > of
          > > > reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch
          > column.
          > > > Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan
          > > only
          > > > make one run?

        • nenengstoute
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
            yea it blew my mind too! same still. same abv mash . same temp. just
            lower proof,faster run,and cleaner rum. mike --- In

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
              Welp Mike,

              Thinking back, when I first added packing, it increased the back
              pressure on the still head, and I found some vapors leaking out.
              Maybe this is what the problem is.

              You might want to do a run with water and the packing, then when it
              gets boiling full blast, take a wet rag and plug up the output spout
              till the pressure increased and see if theres any leaks.

              Thats how i found my problem.