My Pot Still Construction

  • Brian Bohannon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      My question is this. My still is in the process of being constructed
      out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey. What if I
      put a small length of filler in the column to get a small amount of
      reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch column.
      Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan to only
      make one run?
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        Shouldnt be a problem Brian,

        Ive added copper and /or stainless steel scrubbers in my pot still for
        a bit of reflux and the sourmash came out fine. Matter of fact, some of
        the old traditional Scotch and Bourbon stills had a large bubble type
        head for just that purpose.

        One comment is that i wouldnt try doing it in just 1 run. Try doing a
        stripping run first and take everything out for the low wines. Then do
        your spirits spirits run with your cuts.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bohannon" <bbb511us@...>
        wrote:

        > My question is this. My still is in the process of being constructed
        > out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey. What if I
        > put a small length of filler in the column to get a small amount of
        > reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch column.
        > Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan to
        only
        > make one run?

      • nenengstoute
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot still and
          it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140 proof???
          but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of tails
          comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the run.
          mike the rumrunner -
          -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
            Wow Mike,

            That does seem kinda strange. Questions - are you using the same
            mash as the other run or was the abv of the mash the same, and did
            you run it at the same temps???

            When I put some scrubbers in my pot still upright (2 foot high -
            sorry, dont no nothing about marbles), the abv increased almost 7 to
            10% abv at the heads and middle run (averaging 165 proof for heads
            and 150 to 130 proof for the middle (hearts) and 125 to 100 proof for
            tails - but also less tails.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
            <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

            > i put in 1 chore boy scrubber and a dozen marbles in my pot still
            and
            > it actually dropped the top end from 165 proof down to 140 proof???
            > but now i can also run down way past 40 proof without a hint of
            tails
            > comming through.it also cut down the time it takes to make the run.
            > mike the
            rumrunner -
            > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
            > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Shouldnt be a problem Brian,
            > >
            > > Ive added copper and /or stainless steel scrubbers in my pot
            still
            > for
            > > a bit of reflux and the sourmash came out fine. Matter of fact,
            > some of
            > > the old traditional Scotch and Bourbon stills had a large bubble
            > type
            > > head for just that purpose.
            > >
            > > One comment is that i wouldnt try doing it in just 1 run. Try
            > doing a
            > > stripping run first and take everything out for the low wines.
            > Then do
            > > your spirits spirits run with your cuts.
            > >
            > > Vino es Veritas,
            > > Jim.
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bohannon"
            <bbb511us@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > My question is this. My still is in the process of being
            > constructed
            > > > out of a 15gallon keg. Planning on mainly making whiskey.
            What
            > if I
            > > > put a small length of filler in the column to get a small
            amount
            > of
            > > > reflux. I was thinking about 6 inches or so in a 24 inch
            > column.
            > > > Would this strip the distillant of too much flavor if I I plan
            > > only
            > > > make one run?

          • nenengstoute
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
              yea it blew my mind too! same still. same abv mash . same temp. just
              lower proof,faster run,and cleaner rum. mike --- In

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
                Welp Mike,

                Thinking back, when I first added packing, it increased the back
                pressure on the still head, and I found some vapors leaking out.
                Maybe this is what the problem is.

                You might want to do a run with water and the packing, then when it
                gets boiling full blast, take a wet rag and plug up the output spout
                till the pressure increased and see if theres any leaks.

                Thats how i found my problem.