Re: Creating the first mash

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
      Treat it like any other yeast. The instructions on various products in
      this hobby are problematic to new distillers.

      The principle is the same. These yeast are just more ethanol tolerant
      than other strains. They can take higher temps, though I would not
      recommend it.

      As I have stated before, I don't feel that you should bother with
      turbo's. I did it when I was first learning as well, and it was a long
      while before I sorted the confusion out.

      My suggestion at this point is:

      1) to pitch at normal temp. (i.e. room temp.)

      The problem with this, is that you risk contamination.

      2) dilute the starting gravity down a bit to avoid excessive congeners,
      as you will be stressing your yeasts at this sugar/alcohol
      concentration.

      My future suggestion would be to obtain a large HDPE barrel.

      Why?

      1) you can do large washes with lower S.G., which will produce less
      congeners.

      2) There is less risk of infection, as you will add the water (approx.
      160-180L to 40kg sugar) at the proper temperature. Why? Because you can
      make a large yeast starter when you don't bother with turbo's. Just
      simply supplement with your favorite yeast nutrient for a healthy
      ferment.

      3) Do a few stripping runs, real fast, to obtain a clear distillate,
      then you can take the time to properly fractionate your 'low wines'
      that you have collected. If you do the calculations, it works out in
      your favour.

      Hope this helps,

      Bryan.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        Bill,

        Im a bit confused here on what your instructions said as you wrote it:

        "Per insttructions on Turbo Yeast 24. 5.8 liters pet 13 pounds of
        sugar. Says to pitch the yeast at 104 degrees."

        If the instructions say 5.8 liters (of water) "PER" 13 pounds of
        sugar -
        thats absolutly ridiculous. That would give you a starting SG of 1.380
        with an alcohol level of 59.8% alcohol ROTFLMAO. This is WAY WAY out
        of line with any known hydrometer specs, Hydrometer/Sugar/Alcohol
        Tables or capabilities of any known yeast strain lol.

        Heck, if you have found a Turbo yeast strain that can do that - why
        bother with a pot still and please, PLEASE tell us where you got that
        stuff :):):).

        Anyways, on a more serious note, for every 1/2 pound ( or 1 1/8th cup)
        of pure cane sugar in a 1 gallon wash - this will give you 3.5% of
        potential alcohol (ie. 1 pound / gallon = 7% abv).

        There is a really neat self-calulation table at:
        http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#neutral on Tony's site.

        Also a good Hydrometer/Sugar/Alcohol Chart at:
        http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

        As far as the temp goes, most baker's yeasts say to pitch in a quart
        or
        so of warm water (105F - 110F) to activate, but these are dry yeasts
        and the water cools down really quick.

        What i would do is re-read those instructions and then follow what
        Bryan stated in his post. The most abv I would shoot for in your first
        wash would be about a 15% to 16.5% abv to start off with - about 2.3 -
        2.5 lbs of sugar per gallon of wash....

        Also please heed what Bryan said and stay away from them Turbo yeasts.
        Ive heard nothing but problems with them things in these postings -
        not
        to mention the fact of hearing about off-flavors. If you want a nice
        high abv wash (up to 18%) and quick fermentation, I strongly recommend
        the EC-1118 yeast strain (Saccharomyces bayanus) made by Lalvin with
        some yeast nutrients containing DAP (di-ammonium phosphates and yeast
        hulls - about 1.5 tsp per gallon) also add about 1/4 tsp of acid blend
        or 1 cup of orange juice / grapefruit juice per gallon to get your Ph
        down to around 5.5 or so for starters :).

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...>

      • dcrawford@clarityconnect.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
          On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:37:00 -0000, you wrote:

          >Ok already got a snag. Per insttructions on Turbo Yeast 24. 5.8 liters
          >pet 13 pounds of sugar. Says to pitch the yeast at 104 degrees. I think
          >I have a problem with this. At 104 degrees will it kill the yeast. I
          >think so.

          I oftem pitch turbo at around 90 deg. w/no problems

          DC