Reflux Column

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
      As a young grasshopper myself, I have realized that with the setup I
      have (my first still) being a pot still I will not get the neutral
      spirits that I want. I have a 20 inch column with no reflux tubes at
      the top. So I have started looking for a good reflux column. I have
      found these.
      These two companies sell the setup that I have so buying a column
      from them will probably fit my still without having to change the
      flange.

      http://www.milehidistilling.com/40_Stainless_Steel_Distiller_Tower_p/1
      6140.htm

      http://www.brewhaus.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=80001005

      Everything I am finding is made out of stainless steel not copper.
      First the observations that I think I know..

      Height is important so I figured at least 36 inches. Copper scrubbers
      are better then raschig rings.

      Question. Looking at the columns and checking the specs I should be
      able to make a first run at about 90 ABV. Correct???

      2nd Question. Am I going down the wrong path?

      BILL1BURP
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
        Don't buy either one. This is not the design you are after either.

        You should really read a few very important books on the subject.
        These are:

        Making gin and vodka, by John Stone
        The compleat distiller, by Nixon and McCaw
        And Making Pure Corn Whiskey, by Ian Smiley

        You need to learn about what a stream splitter is and how it works in
        a liquid management still to give you a very accurate and
        controllable/adjustable reflux ratio.

        There is no point in wasting your time and money on stills that just
        will not give you what you are really after.

        Good Luck, and Keep Reading.

        Bryan.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@...>
        wrote:

        > As a young grasshopper myself, I have realized that with the setup
        > have (my first still) being a pot still I will not get the neutral
        > spirits that I want. I have a 20 inch column with no reflux tubes
        at
        > the top. So I have started looking for a good reflux column. I have
        > found these.
        > These two companies sell the setup that I have so buying a column
        > from them will probably fit my still without having to change the
        > flange.

        http://www.milehidistilling.com/40_Stainless_Steel_Distiller_Tower_p/1
        > 6140.htm
        >
        > http://www.brewhaus.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=80001005
        >
        > Everything I am finding is made out of stainless steel not copper.
        > First the observations that I think I know..
        >
        > Height is important so I figured at least 36 inches. Copper
        scrubbers
        > are better then raschig rings.
        >
        > Question. Looking at the columns and checking the specs I should be
        > able to make a first run at about 90 ABV. Correct???
        >
        > 2nd Question. Am I going down the wrong path?
        >
        > BILL1BURP

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
          Hey Bill,

          I have to agree with Riku, these are fine products, but old tech.
          I believe they are made of S.S. because they look nicer longer, are
          easier to clean, and SS lasts longer (although a copper still will
          last a hobbiest his or her lifetime).

          I have yet to see a column for sale from one of these companies that
          isn't basically a CM design. I probably shouldn't say that, I haven't
          looked at them all. There are designs to homebuild a still on this
          site, the "homedistiller" site, Harry's library, the list goes on,
          any of which will produce a better product than either the PS II or
          the PDA. Just my stupid oppinion.

          Tip one, Morgan

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
            <morganfield1@...> wrote:
            There are designs to homebuild a still on this
            > site, the "homedistiller" site, Harry's library, the list goes on,
            > any of which will produce a better product than either the PS II
            or
            > the PDA. Just my stupid oppinion.
            >
            > Tip one, Morgan

            I wouldn't include the PDA1 in that list. It's probably the only
            one out there at this juncture (talking commercial hobby stills now)
            that's engineered properly. Its only drawback is the slow output
            rate (1/2 litre/hr). Having said that, it was designed to produce
            alcohol of the highest purity, suitable for vodkas, schnapps &
            liqueurs & other infusions. And 1/2 litre/hr will make 1 x 1125 ml
            (40oz) @ 40% a/v. As a small hobbyist still, it has no equal.

            If you want simplicity in building, Alex's ministill (similar output
            specs to PDA) is about as simple as it gets. These stills are in a
            class of their own for personal use. Riku's still is another of
            sound engineering, however his and Alex's are not (AFAIK) available
            through commercial outlets. Update this if I'm wrong.

            If any hobbyist or even a family barbecue can drink that much every
            hour, there better than I am, Gunga Dinh.

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
              Thanks for correcting me, Harry.

              I knew that was going to bite me in the ass! I haven't checked out
              the PDA for years, obviously got it mixed up with another comercially
              available still. I apoligize to anyone who owns or sells the PDA's
              for dumping on your product.
              You would think I'd have learned by now, RESEARCH your info before
              you send it!

              Standing in corner with dunce cap, Morgan