Re: Where can I buy a still?

  • cristelle
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
      Thanks for all your recommendations! This is great and really helps.
      Thank you.

      I checked out milehidistilling.com and brewhaus.com and
      home-distilling.com - But how come their stills all look so similar?
      Is this all the same product that they purchase somewhere else? Or is
      there just one design and everybody is building their own same product
      from the same design?

      Jim - Thanks for recommending I build my own, but right now I decided
      to go with something other people have tried before me and found to be
      working all right. Eventually I'll hopefully graduate to building my
      own.

      Thanks big much to everybody,
      ctelle

      ps I wish Mile High Distilling wouldn't have those chicks in the
      photos. That really makes me not want to buy from them.
    • Larry Collins
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
        At 08:27 PM 01/30/2008, you wrote:
        >I checked out milehidistilling.com and brewhaus.com and
        >home-distilling.com - But how come their stills all look so similar?
        >Is this all the same product that they purchase somewhere else?
        >ps I wish Mile High Distilling wouldn't have those chicks in the photos.
        >That really makes me not want to buy from them.

        I'm sure that neither one of them builds the stills themselves, and they
        might very well even be the same still sold under different names. I
        studied it pretty closely before I bought from Brewhaus, and I seem to
        recall deciding that they weren't absolutely identical after all, but were
        so similar that it came down to who had the best price and reputation for
        service. That worked out as Brewhaus, by a nose.

        Like you, I had to consider that to indicate something about their service
        or the stills themselves that was making it necessary to hype them with
        cheesecake.

        It also smacked of www.stilldrinkin.com, and that thought itself weighed
        more heavily against them than the cheesecake itself.

        www.stilldrinkin.com was hyping "Turbo Stomper" and "Tilt Reflux" stills,
        which I determined to have nothing really wrong with them except the value
        of the product for the price.

        Nobody on The Internet seemed to be able to tell me just what "Tilt Reflux"
        might be, and the Turbo Stomper is a simple pot still with a simple thumper
        added to it. I saw in a message-base where they offered to sell someone
        the thumper by itself for only $60... or maybe it was $80.

        If you look at them, you can see that it's a $2.00 Mason Jar, with a couple
        of small holes put into the lid by an electrician's "knockout cutter" or
        maybe a drill. Add $3.00 worth of copper mesh, and the thing probably
        costs them about $10-$12, even with the labor required to make it. Sell it
        for $60 (or $80?) Not a bad margin, eh?

        They sell distilling stuff there, but you can also get pheromone cologne to
        "attract women instantly", and software to crack passwords into XXX
        websites. Click "Software" then "Cool Guy Stuff" if you need some of either.

        Or if you scroll down through his still descriptions, there are plenty of
        pics of his "model" straddling boilers suggestively, laying back in
        bikinis, etc.

        Not that I really have anything against XXX websites, OR against
        Stilldrinkin' selling software that's designed to rip off XXX websites by
        helping you hack into them.

        But it gets back to the same thing as Milehigh, only Distilled (so to
        speak): If value of their distilling products is making them rich, why are
        they having to supplement with Schemes and suggestive photos?

        Stilldrinkin used to have their stills continually listed on Ebay, but that
        stopped (for some reason) fairly shortly after the password-cracking
        software, and other sideline stuff started coming in on their website.
      • Larry Collins
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
          At 08:27 PM 01/30/2008, you wrote:
          >Jim - Thanks for recommending I build my own, but right now I decided
          >to go with something other people have tried before me and found to be
          >working all right.

          One deficiency in the pot stills at Brewhaus is that they are completely
          stainless steel. You need some copper somewhere in the vapor path, to
          improve flavor.

          You'll probably want to buy some copper mesh packing and put a roll of it
          in the column or something.

          The other thing is that I may have made a mistake in buying a boiler along
          with my column.

          It's been working just fine, and handy to use, but there is a recycler here
          locally who sells used Stainless steel beer kegs for $45, and that might
          have been a better choice.

          You can also find them on Ebay for similar (or maybe better) prices. You
          just need to be sure that they're S.S. and not aluminum. Most are S.S.
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2008
            That still drinking was taking people's money and not shipping their
            stills. Do a search in here and distillers and you'll find
            discussion about this.

            If I were in market for a still I'd get amphora's PDA-1 with column
            extension. If I had loads of money I'd get the PDA-2 ;)

            Unfortunately most of the design for sale are 10-25 years old and
            the performance is nowhere near todays stills.

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...>