tube bending

  • stavjen76
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2008
      I had the same problem attempting to bend 3/8" copper coil into a 1.5"
      diameter reflux column. The problem I had was that the coil was not
      the easily bent soft copper coil but the more rigid animal. I had
      heard of using sand, sugar, water,salt, etc.

      I initially bought a spring tube bender which was nearly useless as it
      would become stuck as the tubing was bent, had to be taken off the
      tubing, then would kink as I attempted to rebend by hand.

      So.. what I did was fill the tube with water, then I allowed the tube
      to freeze the water inside. This way you don't have to worry about
      the water leaking and the ice inside performs the same function as the
      salt or sugar, etc. as being solid inside and preventing distortion of
      the tube. Then the ice is allowed to melt, therefore no problems with
      getting some type of solid out of the tubing.

      Worked great for me.

      Good luck.
    • stihl88
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
        Hey thanks everyone for the help and tips re pipe bending!

        I will be sketching up a still plan soon and will need to get some
        copper etc...

        What's a good size tube for a small 5 litre pot still?

        Or, even a small 5 litre reflux still?

        Thanks
      • bbornais
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
          A 5-litre pot still is not worth building save for perhaps making
          absinthe/bitters, or steam distilling herbals for gin essence and the
          sort.

          I don't wish to see you waste your time, but if you insist and find
          out the hard way, then I guess you will have a nice little still for
          the above mentioned uses later on.

          Best of luck.

          Bryan.

          P.S.

          I have never had a hard time bending a double coil condenser out of
          1/4in OD soft copper tubing that would fit into a 2in copper pipe.
          Never needed any sand/salt or anything to help either.

          And if I was going to make a worm for a 5L potstill, then I would
          use 3/8in refrigeration tubing.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stihl88" <stihl88@...> wrote:

          > Hey thanks everyone for the help and tips re pipe bending!
          >
          > I will be sketching up a still plan soon and will need to get some
          > copper etc...
          >

          > What's a good size tube for a small 5 litre pot still?
          >
          > Or, even a small 5 litre reflux still?
          >
          > Thanks

        • David Reed
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
            3/8 would be the smallest I would go, pipe is slightly more durable also
            best of luck

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
              5 liters for a boiler is also too small - just like 1/8" tube. See
              msg. number 25800 for a design from Home Distillers - and even go to
              a 16 liter pot like Art is doing. If your doing a pot still, then
              1/2 inch tubing is recommended for the lyne arme.

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Reed <david.reed93@...>