Re: Molasses help

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
      No Preservatives Added means no proprionic acid.

      The percent sugar by weight is the grams of sugar divided by the the
      grams serving size.
      In this case 12g/20g is 60% sugar. This is usual for thick table grade
      molasses.
      This molasses like most has no protein and no B vitamins. These are
      usually necessary for molasses and water to ferment in a reasonable
      amount of time.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@...> wrote:

      > I found a place on online/ebay that sells molasses. They sent me the
      > following info:
      >
      > GOLDEN BARREL
      > UNSULFURED BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
      >
      > INGREDIENTS: MOLASSES
      >
      > Refrigerate After Opening - No Preservatives Added
      >
      > NUTRITION FACTS:
      > Serving Size 1 Tbsp (20 g)
      > Calories 50
      > Total Fat 0g (0%)
      > Total Carb. 13g (4%)
      > Sugars 12g
      > Protein 0g
      > Sodium 15mg (1%)
      > Potassium 500mg (15%)
      > Calcium 15%
      > Iron 20%
      >
      > It does not say if it has proprionic acid, does not state Brix. Can
      > anyone give me any advice on how to figure any of this out BEFORE I
      > buy any?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > T-

    • just me
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
        go to brewhaus.com. Rick has molasses by the gallon or 5 gallon bucket.
      • weisst69
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
          Since I finally got everything needed to start (well, almost
          everything), is there anything I can buy locally to act as yeast
          nutrients? We have no homebrew shops in our area. I know I could
          order online, but is there anything I can get now to get started?

          T-

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
          wrote:

          > No Preservatives Added means no proprionic acid.
          >
          > The percent sugar by weight is the grams of sugar divided by the the
          > grams serving size.
          > In this case 12g/20g is 60% sugar. This is usual for thick table
          grade
          > molasses.
          > This molasses like most has no protein and no B vitamins. These are
          > usually necessary for molasses and water to ferment in a reasonable
          > amount of time.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@>
          wrote:

          > > I found a place on online/ebay that sells molasses. They sent me
          the
          > > following info:
          > >
          > > GOLDEN BARREL
          > > UNSULFURED BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
          > >
          > > INGREDIENTS: MOLASSES
          > >
          > > Refrigerate After Opening - No Preservatives Added
          > >
          > > NUTRITION FACTS:
          > > Serving Size 1 Tbsp (20 g)
          > > Calories 50
          > > Total Fat 0g (0%)
          > > Total Carb. 13g (4%)
          > > Sugars 12g
          > > Protein 0g
          > > Sodium 15mg (1%)
          > > Potassium 500mg (15%)
          > > Calcium 15%
          > > Iron 20%
          > >
          > > It does not say if it has proprionic acid, does not state Brix.
          Can
          > > anyone give me any advice on how to figure any of this out BEFORE
          > > buy any?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > T-

        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
            Hello Mr. T

            You're going to hate me for this, but try "homedistillers.com"
            under "Washes". Yeasts are covered there, along with grocery store
            nutrients to be had. Some say tomato paste works well, but I don't
            think it actually has any nutrients, persay. I could be wrong. It
            does provide a good environment for fermentation by lowering the ph
            of the wash.
            HTH

            Tip one, Morgan

            wrote:

            > Since I finally got everything needed to start (well, almost
            > everything), is there anything I can buy locally to act as yeast
            > nutrients? We have no homebrew shops in our area. I know I could
            > order online, but is there anything I can get now to get started?
            >
            > T-

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
              Opps!

              That's "homedistillers.ORG"
              sorry.
            • rye_junkie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
                The sight seems to be down. I have been trying to log onto it through
                out the day with no luck.

                Mason

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"