Re: Suitable sink drain for bok mini

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dcrawford@... wrote:

      > You Searched for "653003h"
      >
      > Sorry, we could not find any matches for "653003h" Please check
      > your spelling or search for a different key word.
      > ---
      > You Searched for "042805100097"
      >
      > Sorry, we could not find any matches for "042805100097" Please
      > check your spelling or search for a different key word.
      >

      > No lick with 'Watts' or 'spin', either. ???
      >
      > DC

      Google found it ok...

      Lok-Spin™ | Brass & Tubular | Watts Canada

      Watts Brass and Tubular Products - FloodSafe, EZ-Sweat, bath waste drain, faucets, fittings, pressure valve, sink strainer and much more...
      www.wattscanada.ca/pro/_products_ sub.asp?catId=1163&parCat=1788 - 51k -

      649 007 | For 653 003 Lok-Spin™ Strainer | Watts Canada

      for 653 003 Lok-Spin™ strainer, stainless steel Lok-Spin™ mechanism with positive seating metal stopper, chrome plated knob and brass stem ...
      www.wattscanada.ca/pro/ _productsFull_tree.asp?catId=1163&parCat=1806&pid=2387&ref=2 - 52k -

      WATTS 653003H Lok-Spin Sink Strainer, Stainless Steel

      Castle Wholesalers offers you a full range of products in Hardware, Plumbing, Electrical Supply, Building Supply, Locks / Security, Tools, or Garden Supply.
      www.castlewholesalers.com/ WATTS-653003H-Lok-Spin-Sink-Strainer-Stainless-Steel.html - 26k -
      [PDF]

      Ef fective September 17, 2007

      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
      304 stainless steel body with bright stainless steel basket • Lok-Spin™ mechanism with positive .... for 653 003 Lok-Spin™ strainer, stainless steel 1 ...
      www.watts.com/pdf/PL-WB&T.pdf -
      [PDF]

      Series 653

      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
      Lok-spin mechanism with positive seating metal. stopper. • Chrome plated knob and brass stem. For Commercial & Residential Applications. ES-WB&T-653 ...
      www.watts.com/pdf/ES-WB&T-653.pdf -
      [
      More results from www.watts.com ]

      PACE Supply

      SINK STRAINER 3 1/2 LOK-SPIN WATTS. Product Details. SINK STRAINER 3 1/2 LOK-SPIN WATTS. SINK STRAINER 3 1/2 LOK-SPIN WATTS Part #:JAM653003 , Unit: EA.
      www.pacesupply.com/viewProduct.php?prodID=JAM653003 - 8k -

      WATTS DRAIN - PlumbersStock.com

      WATTS DRAIN LOK-SPIN 438 SPIN 653003H (140922) 140922 356-003. $ 8.17. Stocking Item / In Stock. ZOOM IMAGE. ADD TO CART. Copyright ©2007 PlumbersStock. ...
      https://www.plumbersstock.com/ product.html?partNumber=4259 - 9k -

    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
        Thanks for the info Harry and everybody else. Looking at these they
        have what looks to be a zinc plated nut. Is this safe to use or do I
        need to buy a brass one from McMaster Carr? Oh and thanks to the
        person that mentioned the cork gasket. I know a guy with a laser
        cutter that can cut one out of cork perfect.

        Mason
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks for the info Harry and everybody else. Looking at these they
          > have what looks to be a zinc plated nut. Is this safe to use or do I
          > need to buy a brass one from McMaster Carr? Oh and thanks to the
          > person that mentioned the cork gasket. I know a guy with a laser
          > cutter that can cut one out of cork perfect.
          >
          > Mason

          Yes the nut is a crap so you should get a new one.

          The cork is easy, just use the rubber gasket as a template draw a line
          and use a razor knife to cut the cork out.

          Make sure you do a leak test with water once you get done. While you
          are doing the leak test you will be cleaning the still some and also
          you can find your max output so to calculate your reflux ratio later on.

          lank23
        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
            Any issues with Chrome plating?

            Mason

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <lank23@...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for the info Harry and everybody else. Looking at these they
            > > have what looks to be a zinc plated nut. Is this safe to use or do I
            > > need to buy a brass one from McMaster Carr? Oh and thanks to the
            > > person that mentioned the cork gasket. I know a guy with a laser
            > > cutter that can cut one out of cork perfect.
            > >
            > > Mason
            > >

            > Yes the nut is a crap so you should get a new one.
            >
            > The cork is easy, just use the rubber gasket as a template draw a line
            > and use a razor knife to cut the cork out.
            >

            > Make sure you do a leak test with water once you get done. While you
            > are doing the leak test you will be cleaning the still some and also
            > you can find your max output so to calculate your reflux ratio later on.
            >
            > lank23

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
              Ok,
              I picked up a SS sink basket from lowes. I asked the guy if they had
              any brass nuts that would fit it and he showed me this piece of 1 1/2"
              OD brass tube about a foot long with the perfect brass nut on it.
              Said that was all they would have. The tube also had a curved piece
              of 1/2" copper tube coming out of the side. I got it home and the
              brass tube fits perfectly inside the 1 1/2" copper tube for the
              column. It would easily solder into it and extend the column another
              10 inches or so. Are there any issues with Brass that i need to be
              aware of? Is it as safe as copper?

              Mason
            • rye_junkie
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                I have not added this to the column yet. I am still waiting on an
                answer. I guess what I am asking is, Is adding this foot long piece
                of brass tube adding too much Brass to be safe(healthy) in the still.
                I have read on Homedistiller and in some books where brass is a
                suitable material but it seems to be a somewhat controversial subject.

                Mason

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                  wrote:

                  >snip

                  Are there any issues with Brass that i need to be
                  > > aware of? Is it as safe as copper?
                  > >
                  > > Mason

                  G'day, Brass as you may be aware is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.
                  Copper as we all know is good to have in your vapour path, Zinc on
                  the other hand is a heavy metal and highly reactive, plus on top of
                  that brass also contains a small percentage of lead to aid in
                  machinability, to a certain extent brass can be pacified and rendered
                  suitable for use in a column by pickling it in warm acetic acid
                  (vinegar). After this it all comes down to you if you wish to use it,
                  I always find that by asking myself the question "Am I 100% convinced
                  that I should put this in my mouth" I usually come up with an
                  appropriate answer. Regards
                • rye_junkie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                    Thanks again Harry,
                    I had in fact already asked myself the question. I asked here only to
                    confirm. My hope was that you or someone would reply saying that if
                    you use a certain process during cleaning it is perfectly safe. You
                    did not. The appropriate answer here for me is, No, do not use it and
                    I will not. In light of your answer though I would like to ask, What
                    makes the use of Brass compression fittings and needle valves
                    acceptable. Is it because of the small contact area with the vapor
                    path or is it simply all we can obtain for the purpose so we use it.?
                    Thanks again for the reply.
                    Mason

                    > G'day, Brass as you may be aware is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.
                    > Copper as we all know is good to have in your vapour path, Zinc on
                    > the other hand is a heavy metal and highly reactive, plus on top of
                    > that brass also contains a small percentage of lead to aid in
                    > machinability, to a certain extent brass can be pacified and rendered
                    > suitable for use in a column by pickling it in warm acetic acid
                    > (vinegar). After this it all comes down to you if you wish to use it,
                    > I always find that by asking myself the question "Am I 100% convinced
                    > that I should put this in my mouth" I usually come up with an
                    > appropriate answer. Regards

                  • Gerard Lardner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Zinc is *not* a "heavy metal"; it's quite light actually. Also, you do
                      need a little zinc in your diet (good for the "prowess", dont'cha know,
                      like in oysters). But I can't say if it is safe to use it in a still or
                      not; my *guess* is that it /is/ safe; I'll be using some brass fittings
                      in mine.

                      Gerard Lardner

                      Harry wrote:
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      >> snip
                      >>

                      > Are there any issues with Brass that i need to be
                      >
                      >>> aware of? Is it as safe as copper?
                      >>>
                      >>> Mason
                      >>>

                      > G'day, Brass as you may be aware is an alloy of Copper and Zinc.
                      > Copper as we all know is good to have in your vapour path, Zinc on
                      > the other hand is a heavy metal and highly reactive, plus on top of
                      > that brass also contains a small percentage of lead to aid in
                      > machinability, to a certain extent brass can be pacified and rendered
                      > suitable for use in a column by pickling it in warm acetic acid
                      > (vinegar). After this it all comes down to you if you wish to use it,
                      > I always find that by asking myself the question "Am I 100% convinced
                      > that I should put this in my mouth" I usually come up with an
                      > appropriate answer. Regards

                    • Larry Collins
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                        At 04:01 PM 01/07/2008, you wrote:

                        Zinc is *not* a "heavy metal"; it's quite light actually. Also, you do
                        need a little zinc in your diet (good for the "prowess", dont'cha know, like in oysters).

                        Whether a metal is classed as "heavy" has nothing to do with it's relative weight.

                        Copper is actually classed as a heavy metal.

                        The dictionary definition is " A metal with a specific gravity greater than about 5.0"

                        The specific gravity of copper is 8.96, and Zinc is 7.133.

                        There's also a minute dietary requirement of copper in the human body.

                        All heavy metals are poisonous to humans to varying degrees, except in trace quantities and some of them in ANY quantities, just as all alcohol is.

                        It's just a matter of degree.

                        You'd weigh 800 pounds, and probably be dead of mercury poisoning before you could eat enough raw oysters to give you the same amount of zinc that you can leach out of brass with hot alcohol in just a few months of regular exposure.

                        Heavy Metal Poisoning is also gradual.  You don't just drink a glass of high-zinc water then keel over before nightfall.  You just get get more and more stupid and forgetful, gradually and subtly... the symptoms are almost identical to Alzheimer's, and progress at about the same speed.

                        They aren't obvious until they're progressed very far, because in the first couple of years, they are also very similar to normal forgetfulness and carelessness.

                        So yeah, don't take good advice when it's offered, you know better.

                        Some people are just too stupid to live... so they die.  It's literally just a fact of life, happens all the time.

                        Best that you step back and take a minute to wonder whether you're one of them or not.

                      • bbornais
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                          Heavy Metal is a completely stupid term unless applied to headbanging
                          rock and roll with copious amounts of thrashing.

                          Bryan.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Lardner <glardner@...>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                            Welp,
                            As long as the brass fittings dont contain lead, i've heard of stills
                            that use brass fittings. As a matter of fact some of the most
                            beautiful copper / brass stills ive seen here on the internet are
                            made right down south here in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas.

                            They are made by Colonel Wilson and I've heard some good things about
                            em. You can reach him at:

                            Col. Vaughn Wilson, 7225 Chastain RD, Mulberry, AR 72947

                            Phone: The Colonel at 479 414 3220 or hers 479 997 5289 8 am to 10
                            pm any day.

                            Or visit the Web site at:
                            http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/

                            and ask him about using brass fittings and if his stills are ok to
                            use...

                            Just wish i had the money to git me one of them beauties :):).

                            Vino es Veritas,
                            Jim.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...>