Re: advice on getting started

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
      Some free plans that actually work:
      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
      20Listings

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "greatwallofpez"
      <greatwallofpez@...> wrote:

      > A friend and I, after much recent conversation, are very interested
      in trying to make our own
      > ethanol and trying to convert a lawn mower and many other projects
      around the house. I
      > have been trying to look up still plans and it looks like the best
      kind would be a "reflux-
      > still"? I think that's the proper name. But some of the sites look
      like straight up scams and
      > others are pricey. I would have thought, in the interest of the
      environment, someone would
      > have free still plans online. Does anyone know if there are and
      free/good still plans? and if
      > not, does anyone know which plans are worth purchasing? I know the
      still will be a little
      > pricey to build, that's ok. I just don't want to pay $10-$30 for
      plans that turn out to be
      > garbage.
      > All suggestions greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Jeff in Va

    • rhodeseng
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Jeff

        Its a great experiment. But, ethanol for fuel is a bad investment.

        If its subsidized by the goverment it may work. Where that money
        comes from is taxes that we pay.

        build a good reflux still and use clean fermentable sugars and make
        some of the best drinking liquor you have ever tasted.

        buy lawn mower fuel at the gas pump.

        jmho
        cary

        <greatwallofpez@...> wrote:

        > A friend and I, after much recent conversation, are very
        interested in trying to make our own
        > ethanol and trying to convert a lawn mower and many other projects
        around the house. I
        > have been trying to look up still plans and it looks like the best
        kind would be a "reflux-
        > still"? I think that's the proper name. But some of the sites look
        like straight up scams and
        > others are pricey. I would have thought, in the interest of the
        environment, someone would
        > have free still plans online. Does anyone know if there are and
        free/good still plans? and if
        > not, does anyone know which plans are worth purchasing? I know the
        still will be a little
        > pricey to build, that's ok. I just don't want to pay $10-$30 for
        plans that turn out to be
        > garbage.
        > All suggestions greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Jeff in Va

      • Zapata Vive
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          It sounds like you are after fuel ethanol.  This list is for people who want to drink their product after using the lawnmower, not fueling their lawnmower.  They are similar hobbies, but we try hard to keep them separate as somethings that are OK for fuel ehtanol could be deadly for potable spirits.  If you are after fuel, then you really should find the fuel ethanol groups and websites.  Or maybe you want fuel and spirit?  Then you really need to learn the ins and outs of both, and know that you shouldn't just apply fuel advice to spirits and vice versa.

          You are correct that if you want pure ethanol (drinking or fuel) that you want a reflux still.  There is plenty of free info out there, and I believe a yahoo group even.  I like the site www.journeytoforever.org, particularly http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html and http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html

          I will say that I"m not at all convinced that small scale production of ethanol is much of an environment saver.  Even with economies of scale, I think it's often at best a wash depending on how innovative a plant can really manage their BTU's.  But that's a discussion for another forum.

          ¬°Tierra y Libertad!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
            hope this is where I go to be unsubscribed. The
            emails are killing my email, seems a little overkill.
            Please unsubscribe me? thanks

            Jeff
            greatwallofpez@...

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Henderson <greatwallofpez@...> wrote:

              > hope this is where I go to be unsubscribed. The
              > emails are killing my email, seems a little overkill.
              > Please unsubscribe me? thanks
              >
              > Jeff
              > greatwallofpez@...

              All you have to do is edit your membership from this...

              to this...