Re: [new_distillers] Still Design

  • Benjamin Domingo Bof
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      Peter, in this site in portuguese you find info about ethanol small scale production in Brazil
      Regards,Benjamin

      peter442737 <peter.coleman20@...> escribió:
      Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
      designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
      start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

      Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle. Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa.
      Visitá www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        What is it you want to make with your still? Neutral spirits (vodka) or
        flavored ones (whiskey, rum etc.)? Designs differ based on their
        intended use.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
          Yes Peter,

          Still designs are different, depending if you want to make neutral
          alcohol (a reflux still) or flavored alcohols ie. rums, whiskeys,
          brandies etc. (a pot still) - Go to Tony's Home Distller's site:
          http://homedistiller.org/
          And read Introduction, Theory and Equipment. They have a nice
          selection of designs and description of which still to use for what.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
          > designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
          > start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
            I have used a simple pot still design, then modified it to a reflux
            with criss cross tubes in the top of the column and have now changed
            that to a water jacket type condenser at the top of the column. All
            three of these using a liebig product condenser. Over the past few
            weeks i have collected the parts for a offset head still but yesterday
            built a taller version of a Bokakob Mini still design using slanted
            plates. This was by far the easiest yet. And can be used as both pot
            and reflux. It will probably yield better product in pot mode than
            most potstills. The hardest part is bending the tube for the
            condenser but that is more tedious than hard. you just have to be
            careful. For the plans for this still go to http://homedistiller.org/
            and go to the equipment tab then making a still then designs and plans
            then reflux still. it should be right there. How well it works, I
            don't know yet but I have read that it is a good design. It took me 5
            hours to get it together.

            Mason

            <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
            > designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
            > start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

          • PETER COLEMAN
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
              Hi Riku

              Thanks for the prompt reply.  Not too sure probably neutral to start with.

              Regards
              PC

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                Hi Mason
                Thanks for that.
                Regards
                PC

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Hi Jim
                  Thanks for that.
                  Regards
                  PC

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                    In that case I would recommend a vapor management (VM) still or a
                    still using Automatic Reflux Controll (ARC) principle. Do a search
                    and you should find some designs.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, PETER COLEMAN