Still Design

  • peter442737
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
      designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
      start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.
    • Benjamin Domingo Bof
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        Peter, in this site in portuguese you find info about ethanol small scale production in Brazil
        Regards,Benjamin

        peter442737 <peter.coleman20@...> escribió:
        Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
        designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
        start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

        Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle. Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa.
        Visitá www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
          What is it you want to make with your still? Neutral spirits (vodka) or
          flavored ones (whiskey, rum etc.)? Designs differ based on their
          intended use.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
            Yes Peter,

            Still designs are different, depending if you want to make neutral
            alcohol (a reflux still) or flavored alcohols ie. rums, whiskeys,
            brandies etc. (a pot still) - Go to Tony's Home Distller's site:
            http://homedistiller.org/
            And read Introduction, Theory and Equipment. They have a nice
            selection of designs and description of which still to use for what.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
            > designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
            > start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
              I have used a simple pot still design, then modified it to a reflux
              with criss cross tubes in the top of the column and have now changed
              that to a water jacket type condenser at the top of the column. All
              three of these using a liebig product condenser. Over the past few
              weeks i have collected the parts for a offset head still but yesterday
              built a taller version of a Bokakob Mini still design using slanted
              plates. This was by far the easiest yet. And can be used as both pot
              and reflux. It will probably yield better product in pot mode than
              most potstills. The hardest part is bending the tube for the
              condenser but that is more tedious than hard. you just have to be
              careful. For the plans for this still go to http://homedistiller.org/
              and go to the equipment tab then making a still then designs and plans
              then reflux still. it should be right there. How well it works, I
              don't know yet but I have read that it is a good design. It took me 5
              hours to get it together.

              Mason

              <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

              > Hi Guys totally new to this. Read plenty and seen lots of still
              > designs. Dont want to go overboard but want a pretty decent still to
              > start out with. Any help with design will be very much appreciated.

            • PETER COLEMAN
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                Hi Riku

                Thanks for the prompt reply.  Not too sure probably neutral to start with.

                Regards
                PC

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Hi Mason
                  Thanks for that.
                  Regards
                  PC

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Hi Jim
                    Thanks for that.
                    Regards
                    PC

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                      In that case I would recommend a vapor management (VM) still or a
                      still using Automatic Reflux Controll (ARC) principle. Do a search
                      and you should find some designs.

                      Cheers, Riku

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, PETER COLEMAN