How Many Runs On One Tank?

  • morayman98
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
      I have a Mini-still(5 Gal.) and am ready to fire it up in the next few
      days.I was wondering how many runs I could expect from one standard
      sized propane tank,the kind of tank for a turkey fryer.Do I need two
      tanks on hand or will one get me through? Thanks,Morayman
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
        Thats really hard to say - depends on the size of your burner, the heat
        level your running at etc, etc.

        However as an ol' turkey smoker, i would highly recommend always having
        a backup cylinder on hand. Many a smoked turkey would have been ruined
        if i didnt have one :):).

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morayman98" <morayman98@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a Mini-still(5 Gal.) and am ready to fire it up in the next few
        > days.I was wondering how many runs I could expect from one standard
        > sized propane tank,the kind of tank for a turkey fryer.Do I need two
        > tanks on hand or will one get me through? Thanks,Morayman

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morayman98" wrote:
          I have a Mini-still(5 Gal.) and am ready to fire it up in the next few
          days.I was wondering how many runs I could expect from one standard
          sized propane tank,the kind of tank for a turkey fryer.
          Do I need two tanks on hand or will one get me through?

          One tank will get you through multiple runs. How many depends on a lot of things, such as the capacity of your burner and how much of that capacity you use.

          For best results, flavor-wise, you want to keep as little heat as possible under the boiler and still keep it producing... and that also results in lower usage of gas, even though the burner runs for more hours.

          You should use a lot of heat to bring it up to temp, then back it down as much as possible while doing the actual run.

          If you do the run with minimal heat, you'll get more runs out of a tank than if you get in a hurry and keep a lot of heat under it.

          After it gets up to temp, you have to adjust the flame by Trial & Error.  If you turn it down so much that the condenser quits dripping alcohol, crank it up slightly until it begins to drip again.

          If it's dripping faster than about two drops per second, reduce the heat. Once you arrive at the level you want, it's mostly going to be just a matter of watching the thermometer and switching the collection vessels.

          If you use too much heat, you can wind up getting some water vapor caught up the alcohol steam, reducing your purity.  Also, running it too fast makes it more difficult to make your cuts.

          You will probably want a spare tank, and a pressure gauge both, though it's not exactly like frying a turkey... if you run out of gas, you just go get more and come back to finish the interrupted run.

          You'll waste some extra gas and irritation that way, due to having to bring the wash back up to temp, but the wash isn't going to affected negatively, the way a half-fried turkey might be.

          You can stop distilling at any time and come back to it later (or another day) with no ill effects except the waste of heat from bringing the temp up twice.

          If you're in the USA, many U-Haul centers re-fill propane tanks, rather than the wasteful scheme where you just exchange your mostly-empty tank for a full one.

          At U-haul, you can go get the tank filled whenever it gets about half or two-thirds empty, while you wouldn't want to exchange a half-empty tank for a full one, because you just get screwed out of whatever's left in the tank you're turning in.

          Not all U-Haul centers fill propane tanks, but it's a good option if you can find one near you.
          http://finder.uhaul.com/?propane

          You will want to order one of these $20 gauges: http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=3023

          If you don't have your burner yet, Academy Outdoors carries one for about $20, regulator included.
          http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/grills/fryers&start=0&selectedSKU=0267-40037-0002

          Visit www.academy.com and search for Outdoor Propane to find it. They also sell empty tanks at a fair price.

        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
            Morayman,
            I use this same type of burner and I get 5 or 6 - 3 hour runs per
            tank. Maybe more. I have three tanks plus one of those steak saver
            adapters so I can use the Small bottles if need be although the
            probably wouldn't be very cost efficient. Most of this is due to the
            fact that I live in Florida and am one of those people that stay
            prepared for hurricane season. Whiskey mak'in just ensures it all
            stays fresh:)

            Mason

            wrote:

            > I have a Mini-still(5 Gal.) and am ready to fire it up in the next few
            > days.I was wondering how many runs I could expect from one standard
            > sized propane tank,the kind of tank for a turkey fryer.Do I need two
            > tanks on hand or will one get me through? Thanks,Morayman

          • mischa_6262
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
              Just thought id add this link for anyone interested i use one of these
              myself, it instantly cuts off gas supply in the event of a major leak.
              http://www.gasfuse.com/

              Cheers
              And
              Happy New Year when it comes to u all/

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 29, 2007
                Thanks,I'm a Florida boy myself,central.Morayman

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
                wrote:

                > Morayman,
                > I use this same type of burner and I get 5 or 6 - 3 hour runs per
                > tank. Maybe more. I have three tanks plus one of those steak saver
                > adapters so I can use the Small bottles if need be although the
                > probably wouldn't be very cost efficient. Most of this is due to the
                > fact that I live in Florida and am one of those people that stay
                > prepared for hurricane season. Whiskey mak'in just ensures it all
                > stays fresh:)
                >
                > Mason

              • rye_junkie
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 29, 2007
                  North for me.

                  Mason

                  wrote:

                  > Thanks,I'm a Florida boy myself,central.Morayman
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Morayman,
                  > > I use this same type of burner and I get 5 or 6 - 3 hour runs per
                  > > tank. Maybe more. I have three tanks plus one of those steak saver
                  > > adapters so I can use the Small bottles if need be although the
                  > > probably wouldn't be very cost efficient. Most of this is due to the
                  > > fact that I live in Florida and am one of those people that stay
                  > > prepared for hurricane season. Whiskey mak'in just ensures it all
                  > > stays fresh:)
                  > >
                  > > Mason

                • bigjim
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 29, 2007
                    I am near Gainesville
                    James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
                    bigjim@...
                    www.lazyq.com
                    >> Thanks,I'm a Florida boy myself,central.Morayman
                    >>

                    >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                    >> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Morayman,
                    >> > I use this same type of burner and I get 5 or 6 - 3 hour runs per
                    >> > tank. Maybe more. I have three tanks plus one of those steak saver
                    >> > adapters so I can use the Small bottles if need be although the
                    >> > probably wouldn't be very cost efficient. Most of this is due to the
                    >> > fact that I live in Florida and am one of those people that stay
                    >> > prepared for hurricane season. Whiskey mak'in just ensures it all
                    >> > stays fresh:)
                    >> >
                    >> > Mason

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • rye_junkie