Re: backpacking drinks???

  • sn_cur
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 26, 2007
      Plastics, plastics, plastics...

      To quote The Chemist from the homedistiller forums (who is a real chemist and works in
      the beverage alcohol industry):

      "SOME plastics are okay to store LOW PROOF alcohol in (polycarbonates only, please--
      unless you really CAN afford PTFE)--NO PLASTIC is good for hot or high proof alcohol."

      "In the course of my work, I've seen many, many plastic bottles with high proof spirits in
      them. Sent to me by the distillers. I have yet to find one sample that didn't contain
      detectable amounts of plasticizer. How much di-iso-octyl phthalate do YOU want to eat?"

      He later clarified his position and said that small amounts of PTFE (Teflon, as thread tape)
      is okay for high temps and strengths.

      Unfortunately he didn't give a definition of 'low proof'.

      http://tinyurl.com/yte746
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 7, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...>
        wrote:

        > At 03:20 AM 01/06/2008, Harry wrote:
        >
        > >I dunno what you're doin' Larry, but you're posts are comin' thru
        lookin'
        > >like crap. Can ya fix it?
        >
        > I don't know... can I??
        >
        > Is this better?
        >
        > Changing settings in email client didn't do it, re-installing
        didn't do it,
        > upgrading to the current version didn't do it, but I think that
        total
        > un-install AND deletion, then re-install of Eudora (my email
        client) may
        > have fixed things up.
        >
        > I started getting notifications from other people about attached
        photos
        > getting converted to text and included in the body of the email,
        just about
        > the same time.
        >
        > THAT seems to be fixed now, so hopefully this is too. If this is
        coming
        > through normally, then I guess I prevailed. <groan>

        Yup, lookin' good. Well done!