Re: Sugar Molasses fermenting question

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "havingfun923" <havingfun923@...> wrote:

      > > > 8 kg white sugar , 1.5 kg fancy molasses and 16litres of water
      > > with a
      > > > turbo yeast.
      > > >
      > > > mixed it all up the SG was 1.165 ; locked it in with a fermenter
      > > lock ,
      > > > 36 hours it was going crazy farting out CO2 , now it has
      > > stopped
      >
      > I added more yeast and left it for the week ,  from initial SG 1.165
      > the final is SG 1.110 .

      ............There's very little alcohol in it.  There's a LOT of sugar in it (does it taste sweet?).

      > with this 20litre wash , do I put it all in my Essential Extractor
      > Pro Series II ... or do I break it up into smaller quanities 4 times
      > at 5 litres ?

      ..........If you try to distil that, all you'll get is a big mess to clean up.   Burnt sugar all through your still, in every little nook & cranny,  and it takes a long time to get that smell out of your future runs.

      > When I distill the 20 litres .. when do I stop? .. I know I throw
      > out the first 200ml , when do I end?... will I finish with 17 litres
      > of Rum , leaving 1 litre in the still so I don't burn the bottom ..
      > please help .. explain it in simple terms

      ............Throw that wash out.  It's  useless.  Chalk it up to experience.  Make another mash.  Use the chart posted in this message  as your guide.  Follow my previously posted advice and learn about max. sugar you can put in a fermentation.