Re: [new_distillers] help with rum wash

  • John Wheeler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2007
      Welcome,

      You wash sounds good, a lot of folks use brown sugar for their rum wash.
      Unfortunately, it's hard to *say* exactly when you need to make your cuts.  There are some records of various temperatures for when to do it, but since there is so much variety in still design, the temperature settings are really only good for the still they were set on.

      I'd recommend perusing the Distilling section of : http://homedistiller.org/.  The first four parts talk about running the distillate, and when to stop, and where to make the cuts.  The generally advised (from what I've seen) way is to separate your distillate as it comes out into pint glasses (make sure they are glass, plastic will be broken by the high-proof alcohol) and dilute them individually when you are all done.  From there you can generally see or smell where the distillate begins to get really good, and where it begins to get really bad.  From there you just have to take the good stuff =)

      It's not the best directions, I know.  But, the upshot is that if you make a bad batch, and decide that it really is quite a bad batch.  You can always run it back through with your next and clean it up - so no loss, just a little more waiting.

      Cheers!

      On Dec 5, 2007 4:44 PM, jioquest95 <jioquest95@...> wrote:

      Gretings,
      I have scoured the archives for ideas and with supplies I had on
      hand made a mash of:
      16 pounds brown sugar
      1 24 oz bottle of "unsulphured robust" mollases
      1 pack of turbo 48.

      When finished I measured the mash with a hydrometer and these were the
      findings:
      specific gravity 1112
      brix 28
      potential alcohol 15%

      I plan to run through a pot still and would like input as to when to
      make the cuts. also is there a simple adjustment I need to make with
      the wash?