Re: Reflux Column Condenser Question

  • sn_cur
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
      VM is different from the offset head/valved, or a Bokabob slanted plate design, (which are
      both liquid management, or LM, and are good designs). VM has an inline reflux condenser
      at the top of the column, and a product arm with a gate valve in it coming off just above
      the packing, that feeds vapour into a Liebig. VM can usually be added to a offset head/
      valved, or a Bokabob slanted plate design, it just requires adding a 3/4 or 1" threaded
      fitting to the column in the right place (just above the packing), and attaching a gate valve
      and a condenser.

      I have a VM column, it works very well, is very easy to use, and cleaning the inside of the
      column is a breeze cause it is just a hollow tube. I have not tried a CM or LM column.

      You can see photos of my column here:

      http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/Sinker_2007/5_Assemblednoinsul.jpg
      http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/Sinker_2007/6_Head.jpg

      sn

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply Morgan. Being new to the reflux idea I will
      > assume that CM is controlling your reflux by the amount of coolant
      > used and VM is more on the lines of a where
      > the vapor is condensed in the still head and by valve control,
      > distillate is diverted either back in the column(refluxed) or into a
      > collection container. You pretty much answered my question with your
      > short answer. However you have caused me to do some more research and
      > I am now considering the offset head design such as the one described
      > in smileys book "making pure corn whiskey".
      > My original intent was to build a column similar to the essential
      > extractor design from Brewhaus. Who knows where this will end now.
      >
      > Mason
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
      > <morganfield1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Mason,
      > > The short answere is, criss cross cooling tubes will condense more
      > > vapor per inch than cooling tubes around the "outside" of the column.
      > > But for a complete answere, we need more information, such as, what are
      > > ou trying to build? You say you want to "use the liebig you currently
      > > have", which suggests you are aiming for a CM rig, or a VM rig. I have
      > > never used a vapor management still, but I have heard praises from many
      > > who have, well worth the effort to build. I have built and used a
      > > coolant management rig, and I can tell you, they are very finicky. HTH
      > >
      > > Tip one, Morgan

    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
        Cooling management is where there is no valve below the reflux
        condenser because the opening to the product condenser side is above
        the reflux condenser rather than below. It is such that one must
        carefully control the flow of the reflux cooling water between 100%
        condensation (hence no vapour exiting above the reflux condenser and
        into the product condenser.), and 0% reflux (100% of vapour traveling
        past the reflux condenser and to the product side to condense there).

        Liquid management uses a type of stream splitting apparatus that
        catches 100% of the reflux. The reflux condenser in this case runs
        wide open knocking down all the vapour all the time. The reflux ratio
        is determined by how much liquid you take from the obstructed
        condensate path. Search Bokabob and Nixon/Stone.

        The advantage of these two designs over vapour management is that you
        can accurately collect 100% of the vapour if you desire. If it is
        cooling management, simply stop the reflux condenser, and all the
        vapour will pass right by. If it is liquid management, just open the
        stream splitting valve all the way. Why do this? Because, if you know
        the maximum rate of collection, then you can easily set an accurate
        reflux ratio.

        Disadvantage of Cooling management is less control of the reflux
        ratio, because you need an accurate metering valve with constant
        pressure water at a constant temperature. This is not a big issue in
        practicality.

        I personally like liquid management, as you only really need one
        decent condenser (and an optional small inline leibig on the stream
        splitter take off powered by the waste cooling water if you wish
        cooler condensate).

        Search the designs, and this will all start to make more sense.

        Btw… Very nice Sinker.

        Bryan.
      • rye_junkie
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
          I appreciate the advice on this. I still have not made up my mind
          what to build.

          Mason
        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
            Depends on what you want to make, hooch wise I mean. With a name
            like "Rye Junkie", I'm going with wiskey. Pot stills make the best
            flavored spirits WITH PRACTISE. Pot stilling is an art, and my hat is
            off to the guys here that use them and get consistant fine products.
            I've used them with success, but I have a lot more control over the
            output of the still with my LM Offset and a parrots beak. The VM is
            great and has the "set it and forget it" thing going for it, as it
            stops working at around 65% (I believe). Do your research, alittle
            reading now will save you alot of money latter!

            Tip one, Morgan