boiler materials

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
      Hi everyone. I realize that stainless steel is the best material for
      a boiler but I'm having a helluva time finding anything like that. I
      assume that galvanized steel would not work but don't know why.
      Anyone know? thanks

      chris
    • Bposs112@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
        myself being in maintenance for 30 years .knows that when welding galvinized
        metals they put out a gas that can make you really sick . as far as i know i
        cant remember ever seeing a cooking untisel made from it. but if you find
        out different please let me know. im new to this myself an gathering all the
        info i can. thanks
      • lonerider1907
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 8:25 AM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bposs112@... wrote:

          > myself being in maintenance for 30 years .knows that when welding galvinized
          > metals they put out a gas that can make you really sick . as far as i know i
          > cant remember ever seeing a cooking untisel made from it. but if you find
          > out different please let me know. im new to this myself an gathering all the
          > info i can. thanks

          I have to jump in here even though this is an old post. I'm a journeyman welder and a certified welding inspector, I will explain why you can not use galvinized metal.
          The coating contains zinc which is toxic. When welding, the white smoke that comes off is zinc oxide and breathing it will make you sick. The welded connection will rust (iron oxide) and that probably will add an off taste. Finally, the elevated temp will cause the zinc to leech out and poison you.
          I hope this helps.