adding sherry to alcohol in order to get rum

  • macarena@spwines.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
      Hi everybody
      It´s the first time I post something here so I´ll introduce myselve:
      My name is Macarena and I´m from Spain and I work for a little web
      page that sells spanish wines.

      I have a question and wonder if anybody could help me out ´cause I
      asked some wineries but they did not know.

      I´ve heard that in order to get top rum you have to add sherry to
      the rectified neutral alcohol. I´ve also heard that the best sherry
      to add is the Cream.
      Now, what I would like to know is in what % I should add this
      sherry?. Does anybody know? or know where I could ask this?

      Thanks a lot

      Ciao
    • DAVID REID
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
        Hi Macarena,
        I believe the figures are between 1 to 5% but I am no
        expert on rum. The classical authorative studies on rum were produced and
        published by Rafael Arroyo of Puerto Rico in the 1940s.
        Titles:
        (1) "The Manufacture of Rum", Sugar Vol 36 (12) 37 (1) (5) (7). 1941 and
        1942
        (2) "The Production of Heavy-Bodied Rum", Intl Sugar Journal Vol 40 (11)
        1945 pages 34-39.
        (3) "The Flavour of Rum", Intl Sugar Journal 50 1948 page 210.
        B.r., David

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2000
          NO DUDE IM NEW TO THIS TOO. BUT IF YOU FIND OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW IM
          GATHERING ALL THE INFO I CAN. THANKS