Re: [new_distillers] Re: Home made turbo recipe - new to group

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 1, 2007
      I've found exactly the same, David. Sure the mash or wash doesn't clear but does that matter? The end product from the still is fine.

      blanik

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

      Powered by Outblaze
    • David
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 3, 2007
        Yes, you can substitute KOH, potassium hydroxide, (potash lye)(NOT
        regular sodium lye) which should be locally available as generic
        brand liquid drain cleaner. Please be careful with this stuff. I
        don't know the exact proportions, (a teaspoon per 15L?? depending on
        strength) but it will be similar, probably less??? Check the
        ingredients, there should be no sodium hydroxide and it should be
        nearly clear. For experimenting only, use lab grade KOH if you are
        going to drink it. Remember to adjust the final Ph to about 6.0 with
        citric acid before pitching the yeast. [This is a VERY strong base
        and will soapify your skin on contact.] I have also used potassium
        vitamin supplements but not exclusively and the amount required is so
        great that it won't be inexpensive (they usually come in 99mg pills)
        for large batches. Yeast needs for K are on the order of 4500mg per
        15 liter, that's a lot and is equivalent of one cup normal molasses
        or 1/2 half cup blackstrap molasses. Molasses is loaded with K.

        I must warn you that the acid should be added to the sugar solution
        first and then the potassium. (especially if you already added the
        DAP first by mistake). You can make small adjustments either way when
        the PH is closer to 6PH. Kind of a catch 22 I know.

        I'm sure I will be chastised for suggesting drain cleaner. But it is
        a convenient economical source of K for testing purposes only cause
        we don't know what else may be in it.

        David

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RAY HARRISON <rahar2005@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi David,
        >
        > I have downloaded your recipe and ready to give it a go. I have
        all the ingredients apart from the potassium carbonate-seems that no
        one seems to stock this locally.