EPA-Distillery & Winery Guidelines - Australia

    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 1, 2007

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dolata" <david@...> wrote:

      > The EPA I knew there would be something but was not aware of the
      > sterilization. My other business deals with may EPA permits and I
      > have people that will be able to deal with it, whatever is required.

      EPA Guidelines for Wineries and Distilleries - Australia

      Some of the potential effects on the environment of the various constituents of liquid and solid

      waste by-products from the winemaking process are summarised in the table below.

      Table 1

      Potential environmental impacts of winery and/or distillery wastes

      Winery waste

      Indicators

      Effects

      constituent

      Organic matter

      BOD 1, TOC 2, COD 3

      depletes oxygen when discharged into water. leading to the

      death of fish and other aquatic organisms

      odours generated by anaerobic decomposition cause nuisance

      if waste is stored in open lagoons or applied to land

      Alkalinity /acidity

      pH

      death of aquatic organisms at extreme pH ranges

      affects microbial activity in biological wastewater treatment

      processes

      affects the solubility of heavy metals in the soil and

      availability and/or toxicity in waters

      affects crop growth

      Nutrients

      N,P, K

      eutrophication or algal bloom when discharged to water or

      stored in lagoons; algal blooms can cause undesirable odours

      in lagoons

      N as nitrate and nitrite in drinking water supply can be toxic

      to infants

      toxic to crops in large amounts

      Salinity

      EC 4, TDS 5

      imparts undesirable taste to water

      toxic to aquatic organisms

      affects water uptake by crops

      Sodicity

      SAR 6, ESP 7

      affects soil structure, resulting in surface crusting, low

      infiltration and hydraulic conductivity, hard and dense subsoil

      Heavy metals

      Cadmium, chromium,

      toxic to plants and animals

      cobalt, copper, nickel,

      lead, zinc, mercury

      Solids

      TSS 8

      reduces soil porosity, leading to reduced oxygen uptake

      can reduce light transmission in water, thus compromising

      ecosystem health

      smothers habitats

      odour generated from anaerobic decomposition

      1 Biochemical oxygen demand

      2 Total organic carbon

      3 Chemical oxygen demand

      4 Electrical conductivity

      5 Total dissolved salts

      6 Sodium adsorption ratio

      7 Exchangeable sodium percentage

      8 Total suspended solids

      Objectives of monitoring

      Environmental monitoring is an effective tool that will assist the EPA and wineries to:

      • determine the load and effects of winery wastes on the environment • monitor and maintain or improve the performance of waste management systems • analyse environmental management performance and compare it with EPA standards.

      Monitoring and reporting requirements

      Wineries

      must develop procedures to sample and monitor influent water (water coming into the winery), wastewater, soil, groundwater and other receiving environments (e.g. vegetation and watercourses) as required by the EPA licence. The following points should be considered: • Influent water and wastewater sampling and monitoring procedures should be developed and undertaken to comply with both the Australian/New Zealand Standards (AS/NZS 5667:1998) and relevant EPA guidelines. • Soil sampling and monitoring should be developed and take into account relevant schedules of the National Environment Protection (Assessment of Site Contamination) Measure 1999 (Site Contamination NEPM) to suit specific situations (e.g. Schedule B(2) Guideline on Data Collection, Sample Design and Reporting, and Schedule B(3) Guideline on Laboratory Analysis of Potentially Contaminated Soils). • Groundwater sampling and monitoring procedures should be developed, and take into account both the AS/NZS 5667.11:1998 and the relevant schedules of the Site Contamination NEPM (e.g. Schedule B(2) Guideline on Data Collection, Sample Design and Reporting). • Analysis of samples must be undertaken by a National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accredited laboratory and use NATA accredited procedures to ensure the integrity of the data. The NATA web siteí www.nata.asn.auícontains a list of suitable accredited laboratories. • Other laboratories can be used to undertake the analysis on occasions not prescribed by the EPA licence (e.g. to provide information to help review and improve waste management systems, monitor the performance of a newly installed wastewater treatment plant, or determine a chemical dose for pH adjustment). Submission of this data to the EPA is optional. • The monitoring program must be approved by the EPA before it is implemented. The EPA must be consulted before changes to the approved monitoring program are made. • Data obtained from the monitoring requirements of the licence must be forwarded to the EPA, where it will be used to establish industry benchmarks and inform the public. In reporting the data, the EPA recommends that wineries: • use the EPA reporting format for ease in data management and consolidation • present the concentrations of substances in water and wastewater to two significant figures, where possible using the preferred units indicated in Tables 2 and 5 of this guideline. As part of the EPAçs quality management activity and resulting data are verified by an independent qualified professional, at intervals prescribed by the licence.

      [Source - EPA Guidelines for Wineries and Distilleries]

    • David
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 3, 2007
        Yes, you can substitute KOH, potassium hydroxide, (potash lye)(NOT
        regular sodium lye) which should be locally available as generic
        brand liquid drain cleaner. Please be careful with this stuff. I
        don't know the exact proportions, (a teaspoon per 15L?? depending on
        strength) but it will be similar, probably less??? Check the
        ingredients, there should be no sodium hydroxide and it should be
        nearly clear. For experimenting only, use lab grade KOH if you are
        going to drink it. Remember to adjust the final Ph to about 6.0 with
        citric acid before pitching the yeast. [This is a VERY strong base
        and will soapify your skin on contact.] I have also used potassium
        vitamin supplements but not exclusively and the amount required is so
        great that it won't be inexpensive (they usually come in 99mg pills)
        for large batches. Yeast needs for K are on the order of 4500mg per
        15 liter, that's a lot and is equivalent of one cup normal molasses
        or 1/2 half cup blackstrap molasses. Molasses is loaded with K.

        I must warn you that the acid should be added to the sugar solution
        first and then the potassium. (especially if you already added the
        DAP first by mistake). You can make small adjustments either way when
        the PH is closer to 6PH. Kind of a catch 22 I know.

        I'm sure I will be chastised for suggesting drain cleaner. But it is
        a convenient economical source of K for testing purposes only cause
        we don't know what else may be in it.

        David

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RAY HARRISON <rahar2005@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi David,
        >
        > I have downloaded your recipe and ready to give it a go. I have
        all the ingredients apart from the potassium carbonate-seems that no
        one seems to stock this locally.