Aging with oak chips

  • easythreesix
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 24 6:27 AM
      Gents,

      I'm using some mason jars to age some different homemade whiskies with
      some toasted/charred oak chips (approximately 2 teaspoons of chips per
      quart). Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better type of
      container to use when doing this?

      Thanks,

      Easy
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 24 7:05 AM
        Yup, a 53 gallon charred, American white Oak barrel is the way to go
        lol, but in your cask (or case - pun intended) that should work
        somewhat. If ya gots the money there are many suppliers around that
        sell 2 liter, 4 liter or 10 liter charred oak casks...

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        PS> might want to add another couple of tsps of charred oak chips per
        liter..

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "easythreesix"
        <easythreesix@...> wrote:

        > Gents,
        >
        > I'm using some mason jars to age some different homemade whiskies
        with
        > some toasted/charred oak chips (approximately 2 teaspoons of chips
        per
        > quart). Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better type of
        > container to use when doing this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Easy

      • chefriverrat
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 24 7:34 AM
          thats all i use and i hve great results but i use gallon glass jars
          insted
          chef
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "easythreesix"
          > <easythreesix@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Gents,
          > >
          > > I'm using some mason jars to age some different homemade whiskies
          > with
          > > some toasted/charred oak chips (approximately 2 teaspoons of
          chips
          > per
          > > quart). Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better type
          of
          > > container to use when doing this?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Easy

        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 24 7:44 AM
            I have been using Jack Daniels Barrel chips for a little while now.
            You can find them in the barbecue section in some stores. I use a
            hand full for a 1.75 liter bottle. I toast half of them lightly in my
            toaster oven and the other half I put in a cast iron smoker box for
            gas grills and cook them over a flame until they ignite and are black.
            I quench those in water and add both halves to the 1.75L bottle of
            whiskey. It looks and tastes pretty good after 30 days. That said, I
            would have to say that I am starting to like my whiskey white, aged in
            the dark for 30 days. I have found that the oak seems to irritate my
            acid reflux. Store bought bourbon does the same. Scotch on the other
            hand seems to sooth things a little. Must be the peat or I'm just
            high maintenance. :)

            Mason

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "easythreesix"
            > <easythreesix@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Gents,
            > >
            > > I'm using some mason jars to age some different homemade whiskies
            > with
            > > some toasted/charred oak chips (approximately 2 teaspoons of chips
            > per
            > > quart). Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better type of
            > > container to use when doing this?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Easy

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 25 5:51 AM
              Way to go, easy.

              Blanik

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

              Powered by Outblaze
            • rhodeseng
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 25 6:40 AM
                homemade oak chunks work fine also in mason jars.

                about 2 pieces the size and length of your finger charred with a
                propane torch will do the trick.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                wrote:

                > Way to go, easy.
                >
                > Blanik

                (Shakyamuni Buddha)

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 26 5:15 PM
                  Speaking of Oak Chips, Ive heard of people aging in cherry wood,
                  apple and other hard woods - depending on the liquor being produced.

                  Was just wondering, I have a big bag of Hickory Chips from
                  barbaqueing - has anyone every used them charred to age whiskey??

                  "A Fine Wine is just like a Beautiful woman - Fragrant , mellow, and
                  smooth on the pallat..."

                  JIm.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@...>
                  wrote:

                  > homemade oak chunks work fine also in mason jars.
                  >
                  > about 2 pieces the size and length of your finger charred with a
                  > propane torch will do the trick.
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Way to go, easy.
                  > >
                  > > Blanik

                • rye_junkie
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 26 6:34 PM
                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                    > Was just wondering, I have a big bag of Hickory Chips from
                    > barbaqueing - has anyone every used them charred to age whiskey??

                    Hello Jim,
                    I had thought about them also but i think its an oily wood. I decided
                    not to try it anyway. I went to a local cabinet shop a couple days
                    ago and they gave me about 10 pounds of white oak scraps they were
                    going to throw away. I would save the hickory for a Boston butt or
                    thanksgiving turkey.

                    Mason
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 26 7:24 PM
                      Okeys Mason Thanks,

                      But thinks im a going to try it anyways in just a quart mason jar
                      (Go were no Man has gone before...).

                      BTW watch out for them chips from cabinet makers - just makes sure
                      they are pure chips, without the veneer - heard some bad things
                      about that.

                      Jim.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                      > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Was just wondering, I have a big bag of Hickory Chips from
                      > > barbaqueing - has anyone every used them charred to age whiskey??
                      >
                      > Hello Jim,
                      > I had thought about them also but i think its an oily wood. I
                      decided
                      > not to try it anyway. I went to a local cabinet shop a couple days
                      > ago and they gave me about 10 pounds of white oak scraps they were
                      > going to throw away. I would save the hickory for a Boston butt or
                      > thanksgiving turkey.
                      >
                      > Mason

                    • rye_junkie
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 26 8:27 PM
                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                        > Okeys Mason Thanks,
                        >
                        > But thinks im a going to try it anyways in just a quart mason jar
                        > (Go were no Man has gone before...).
                        >
                        > BTW watch out for them chips from cabinet makers - just makes sure
                        > they are pure chips, without the veneer - heard some bad things
                        > about that.
                        >
                        > Jim.

                        All of this stuff was clean strips off the table saw. About 1x1.

                        Mason
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 27 4:25 PM
                          LOL Mason,

                          Dang, that Boston Butt aint called that down here in good ol'
                          Virgini - havent heard that expression for picnic shoulder since I
                          lived in Mass (and they still dont use that name in Boston).

                          What they have down here in Virgini is Smithfield Smoked Shoulder -
                          a really nice and flavorful piece of meat (but has the big bone
                          through it).

                          "Boston Butt" came from the revoutionary days when:

                          "In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War,
                          some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like
                          loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known
                          as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was
                          cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston
                          Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is called that almost
                          everywhere in the US,… except in Boston.

                          I wouldnt waste my good Hickory chips on it. My recipe is:

                          -Put your Butt (Smoked picnic shoulder) in a brown paper bag.
                          -Let cook for 20 minutes a pound at 325 temp.
                          -45 minutes before its done, put a few square cuts around to expose
                          the meat and add Orange Juice, Brown Sugar (if you can spare if from
                          ya wash :-) Pineapple slices and yellow Mustard.
                          -Baste every 10 minutes....

                          However, my Smoked Turkey is to die for with them Hickory Chips - my
                          friends used to order them from me for Thanksgivins...

                          Vino es Veritas,
                          Jim.

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                          > > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Was just wondering, I have a big bag of Hickory Chips from
                          > > > barbaqueing - has anyone every used them charred to age
                          whiskey??

                          > > Hello Jim,
                          > > I had thought about them also but i think its an oily wood. I
                          > decided
                          > > not to try it anyway. I went to a local cabinet shop a couple
                          days
                          > > ago and they gave me about 10 pounds of white oak scraps they
                          were
                          > > going to throw away. I would save the hickory for a Boston butt
                          or
                          > > thanksgiving turkey.
                          > >
                          > > Mason

                        • rye_junkie
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 27 5:38 PM
                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                            > LOL Mason,
                            >
                            > Dang, that Boston Butt aint called that down here in good ol'
                            > Virgini - havent heard that expression for picnic shoulder since I
                            > lived in Mass (and they still dont use that name in Boston).

                            Here out in the sticks of North Florida they are called and bought as
                            Boston Butts no matter whether you buy at a big chain or the local
                            butcher. Interesting history though. I didn't know where the term
                            originated.

                            Mason
                          • Link D'Antoni
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 28 11:08 AM
                              Jim,
                              I did an experiment using various woods that I use to
                              BBQ. Figured if it's good enough to smoke (BBQ) then
                              it's good enough to drink.
                              Cherry wood had a harsh taste. I used raw, toasted,
                              and charred. Raw was best but left and aftertaste.

                              The others woods that I experimented with were:
                              -Live Oak, really really good
                              -Pecan, almost as good as the Live Oak.
                              -Hickory, the tannin came though but I didn't like
                              the taste)
                              -Lemon & Orange wood, a slight hint of fruity taste.
                              Not enough to waste my time.
                              There again I used raw, toasted and charred of each.
                              Afterward, I blended all samples except the Live Oak
                              and Pecan thinking that I would filter and blend into
                              some later. The mix is just great.
                              I think that pictures of the experiment are in
                              Distillers/Photos.

                              Link

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Link D'Antoni
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 28 11:14 AM
                                Try that 'Boston Butt' on Cherry or Maple wood.

                                Ymmmm, yum, yum, yum, yummmm, yum, YUMMMM!

                                Link

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 28 4:33 PM
                                  Welp Link,

                                  Like I said - down here in Virgini - "Land of Love and Pork", most
                                  of the cuts we buy are pre-smoked and/or country hams cured in salt
                                  brine (hate em, ya have to soak them 24 hours just to git all the
                                  salt out).

                                  Also have never seen so many different cuts like hog jowels, hog
                                  ears, pigs feet, chittlins etc etc etc. Aint nothing from a pig
                                  that goes to waste here lol.

                                  But think im a going to take your and Mason's advice on those
                                  Hickory chips and just mix a few of them charred with some charred
                                  oak chips. Reason i asked was when soaking them for BBQ the next
                                  day the water had turned to a golden yellow - just like Jack Daniels.

                                  Vino es Veritas,
                                  Jim.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Try that 'Boston Butt' on Cherry or Maple wood.
                                  >
                                  > Ymmmm, yum, yum, yum, yummmm, yum, YUMMMM!
                                  >
                                  > Link
                                  >

                                  > --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > LOL Mason,
                                  > >
                                  > > Dang, that Boston Butt aint called that down here in
                                  > > good ol'
                                  > > Virgini - havent heard that expression for picnic
                                  > > shoulder since I
                                  > > lived in Mass (and they still dont use that name in
                                  > > Boston).
                                  > >
                                  > > What they have down here in Virgini is Smithfield
                                  > > Smoked Shoulder -
                                  > > a really nice and flavorful piece of meat (but has
                                  > > the big bone
                                  > > through it).
                                  > >
                                  > > "Boston Butt" came from the revoutionary days when:
                                  > >
                                  > > "In pre-revolutionary New England and into the
                                  > > Revolutionary War,
                                  > > some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on
                                  > > the hog," like
                                  > > loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels
                                  > > (also known
                                  > > as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the
                                  > > hog shoulder was
                                  > > cut in the Boston area became known in other regions
                                  > > as "Boston
                                  > > Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is
                                  > > called that almost
                                  > > everywhere in the US,… except in Boston.
                                  > >
                                  > > I wouldnt waste my good Hickory chips on it. My
                                  > > recipe is:
                                  > >
                                  > > -Put your Butt (Smoked picnic shoulder) in a brown
                                  > > paper bag.
                                  > > -Let cook for 20 minutes a pound at 325 temp.
                                  > > -45 minutes before its done, put a few square cuts
                                  > > around to expose
                                  > > the meat and add Orange Juice, Brown Sugar (if you
                                  > > can spare if from
                                  > > ya wash :-) Pineapple slices and yellow Mustard.
                                  > > -Baste every 10 minutes....
                                  > >
                                  > > However, my Smoked Turkey is to die for with them
                                  > > Hickory Chips - my
                                  > > friends used to order them from me for
                                  > > Thanksgivins...
                                  > >
                                  > > Vino es Veritas,
                                  > > Jim.
                                  > >
                                  > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,

                                  > > "jamesonbeam1"

                                  > > Hickory Chips from
                                  > > charred to age
                                  > > whiskey??

                                  > > oily wood. I
                                  > > > decided
                                  > > shop a couple
                                  > > days
                                  > > oak scraps they
                                  > > were
                                  > > for a Boston butt
                                  > > or

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • bigjim
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 29 12:06 PM
                                    Link, I just came in from The Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ Cook Off in
                                    Lynchburg, Tn. We got 5th in chicken .
                                    Any how I came across a fellow with a pick-up loaded with some tops from
                                    their whiskey kegs. I scored 4 of them (all I could get on the footrest of
                                    my powerchair) They are charred on one side and still smell like Gentleman
                                    Jack and they were still damp. I thought I would saw up a stave or 2 and
                                    char the other 3 sides and slip one in a Mason jar with my next batch.
                                    They made an announcement at the awards that if anybody that if anybody
                                    wanted one, they had 100 kegs they would sell us for $30.00 US apiece. I did
                                    not have enough room to get one. They normally go for $75.00 US.
                                    You have my email, if you want a couple of stave off one of these tops,
                                    Let me know and I will send ya some.
                                    I'll put up some pictures from The Jack and post the URL. Anybody else?
                                    I saw one vendor selling BBQ that was cooking with the tops.
                                    James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
                                    bigjim@...
                                    www.lazyq.com
                                    > I did an experiment using various woods that I use to
                                    > BBQ. Figured if it's good enough to smoke (BBQ) then
                                    > it's good enough to drink.
                                    > Cherry wood had a harsh taste. I used raw, toasted,
                                    > and charred. Raw was best but left and aftertaste.
                                    >
                                    > The others woods that I experimented with were:
                                    > -Live Oak, really really good
                                    > -Pecan, almost as good as the Live Oak.
                                    > -Hickory, the tannin came though but I didn't like
                                    > the taste)
                                    > -Lemon & Orange wood, a slight hint of fruity taste.
                                    > Not enough to waste my time.
                                    > There again I used raw, toasted and charred of each.
                                    > Afterward, I blended all samples except the Live Oak
                                    > and Pecan thinking that I would filter and blend into
                                    > some later. The mix is just great.
                                    > I think that pictures of the experiment are in
                                    > Distillers/Photos.
                                    >
                                    > Link
                                    >

                                    > --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Speaking of Oak Chips, Ive heard of people aging in
                                    >> cherry wood,
                                    >> apple and other hard woods - depending on the liquor
                                    >> being produced.
                                    >>
                                    >> Was just wondering, I have a big bag of Hickory
                                    >> Chips from
                                    >> barbaqueing - has anyone every used them charred to
                                    >> age whiskey??
                                    >>
                                    >> "A Fine Wine is just like a Beautiful woman -
                                    >> Fragrant , mellow, and
                                    >> smooth on the pallat..."
                                    >>
                                    >> JIm.
                                    >>
                                    >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng"
                                    >> <rhodeseng@...>
                                    >> wrote:
                                    >> >
                                    >> > homemade oak chunks work fine also in mason jars.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > about 2 pieces the size and length of your finger
                                    >> charred with a
                                    >> > propane torch will do the trick.
                                    >> >

                                    >> > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum
                                    >> norbu" <blanik@>

                                  • mtnwalker2
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 29 5:10 PM
                                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                      > Welp Link,
                                      >
                                      > Like I said - down here in Virgini - "Land of Love and Pork", most
                                      > of the cuts we buy are pre-smoked and/or country hams cured in salt
                                      > brine (hate em, ya have to soak them 24 hours just to git all the
                                      > salt out).
                                      >
                                      > Also have never seen so many different cuts like hog jowels, hog
                                      > ears, pigs feet, chittlins etc etc etc. Aint nothing from a pig
                                      > that goes to waste here lol.
                                      >
                                      > Master Jim,

                                      Are you really from ole Va.? Any butcher, raiser of hogs, vet. and
                                      especially the home farmer raising his own hogs will tell you the
                                      best of all are the mtn oysters properly fried. Next is the fresh
                                      liver the day of killing, dinner that night. Then if properly cold
                                      enough the cutting and sugar, salting and peppering process the next
                                      day, with the grinding of all the trimmings and odds and ends into
                                      sausage, while the intestines are cleaned for the caseings. Fire is
                                      lit for the 4 to 5 hour water bath canning for the backbones and ribs.

                                      The sausage is baked in a wood stove oven, hot packed into jars and
                                      sealed upside down and then stored that way. The leaf lard and other
                                      good fat is rendered on the wood stove top for cracklings and lard.

                                      The skull and quarter to half the liver and some of the fat goes to a
                                      neighbor who specializes in hogs head cheese, one of my favorites,
                                      and scrapple.

                                      We ain't stingy, we share, dogs get the eyeballs, tail, ears and
                                      wanger. You have to give up something for your friends. Oh yeah the
                                      big ole toenails also. All else is ours.

                                      Ah heck, you just talked me into getting some baby pigs next spring.
                                      Bring one sharp knife, and one dull one for the scrappeing. Water
                                      barrels will be boiling for the scrappeing.

                                      Of course, I forgot to mention the most important part. Just below
                                      all these smokey fires, and with a fire of its own runs the before,
                                      dureing and after libations. We in these high up hills of NC are so
                                      fortunate as the womenfolk just shrug their shoulders and take over
                                      the work and processing, to the tune of our snores.

                                      Now thats some damn good pork, no matter what that state the but came
                                      from.
                                    • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 29 5:18 PM
                                        the question i have is how long should one keep oak chips in our brew??
                                        thanks
                                        slough

                                        http://mail.aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 29 5:39 PM
                                          Dang Boy,

                                          Really didnt want to get into them Rocky Mountain Smoked Oyster
                                          parts, but no, Im not a true blood Virginian - just a transplant
                                          from Texas - where them Smoked oysters are delicious but come from
                                          bull balls down there. Still think calf's liver is better and am
                                          familar with making sausage ;-). Only part of a calf/cow I wont eat
                                          are calf's brains (when i was young my mother was makin em in a
                                          skillet and looked in - had nightmares ever since).

                                          Like I said before, aint nothing goes to waste from a pig in these
                                          parts (or cattle out west)....

                                          Vino es Veritas,
                                          Jim.

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mtnwalker2" <mtnwalker2@...>

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 29 5:44 PM
                                            Answer: As long as ya can keep from drinkin it.....

                                            Law requires true Bourbon to be aged in oak barrels for a minimum of
                                            2 years while most age for 4 years, including all Tenessee sour mash
                                            whiskeys...

                                            Vino es Veritas,
                                            Jim.

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

                                            > the question i have is how long should one keep oak chips in our
                                            brew??
                                            > thanks
                                            > slough

                                            ___
                                            Mail! -

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 29 7:04 PM
                                              wrote:

                                              > Are you really from ole Va.? Any butcher, raiser of hogs, vet. and
                                              > especially the home farmer raising his own hogs will tell you the
                                              > best of all are the mtn oysters properly fried. Next is the fresh
                                              > liver the day of killing, dinner that night. Then if properly cold
                                              > enough the cutting and sugar, salting and peppering process the next
                                              > day, with the grinding of all the trimmings and odds and ends into
                                              > sausage, while the intestines are cleaned for the caseings. Fire is
                                              > lit for the 4 to 5 hour water bath canning for the backbones and
                                              ribs.

                                              > The sausage is baked in a wood stove oven, hot packed into jars and
                                              > sealed upside down and then stored that way. The leaf lard and other
                                              (SNIP)

                                              If I ever get lucky & win the lottery (a real one, online scams
                                              excluded) I gonna look you up & try that hog. I'll bring the homebrew
                                              Scotch! :)

                                            • Sherman
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 29 7:20 PM
                                                The answer to how long for soaking wood chips is... You soak them
                                                until you deem it finished. This might require regular sampling.

                                                On, hogs... Kentucky and North Carolina have a lot in common. Except
                                                that with a few German variations on the sausage whaere I come from
                                                along with the blood wurst, souse, liverwurst and braunshwager.

                                                On power controllers... I need to put together a how-to. I have all
                                                the parts to do a 240vac one that can handle 40 amps. I'll work on it
                                                soon.

                                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mtnwalker2" <mtnwalker2@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Are you really from ole Va.? Any butcher, raiser of hogs, vet. and
                                                > > especially the home farmer raising his own hogs will tell you the
                                                > > best of all are the mtn oysters properly fried. Next is the fresh
                                                > > liver the day of killing, dinner that night. Then if properly cold
                                                > > enough the cutting and sugar, salting and peppering process the next
                                                > > day, with the grinding of all the trimmings and odds and ends into
                                                > > sausage, while the intestines are cleaned for the caseings. Fire is
                                                > > lit for the 4 to 5 hour water bath canning for the backbones and
                                                > ribs.
                                                > >
                                                > > The sausage is baked in a wood stove oven, hot packed into jars and
                                                > > sealed upside down and then stored that way. The leaf lard and other
                                                > (SNIP)
                                                >
                                                > If I ever get lucky & win the lottery (a real one, online scams
                                                > excluded) I gonna look you up & try that hog. I'll bring the homebrew
                                                > Scotch! :)
                                                >
                                                > Slainte!
                                                > regards Harry

                                              • sonum norbu
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 29 10:09 PM
                                                  Seeing as we are all breaking the law anyway, I would suggest that you leave it for at least two months, preferably in a place that has changes in temperature. You will see the colour changes and if you taste it on a weekly basis you can remove the oak when you're happy with the progress.

                                                  Remember that your spirit is at 65abv so you will need to dilute it a bit before tasting.

                                                  blanik

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 30 1:08 AM
                                                    Right Pint - Thats what i was trying to say... Till there aint no
                                                    more to sample lol.

                                                    Jim.

                                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
                                                    wrote:
                                                    --snip--

                                                    > The answer to how long for soaking wood chips is... You soak them
                                                    > until you deem it finished. This might require regular sampling.

                                                  • nenengstoute
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 30 5:31 AM
                                                      i age for bout one month till it starts to get a nice pretty color.
                                                      then i start to airate ? how often depends on how low my stock is.
                                                      since when barrel aging you loose about 3% a year,i go by the same rule
                                                      of thumb. when my abv has dropped 9-10% i consider that a good 3yr
                                                      aging. then i filter cut and bottle.works good just doesn't last a long
                                                      time. mike --- In

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 30 1:14 PM
                                                        Well Mike,

                                                        As said in an earlier thread, I dont like giving those angels more
                                                        then their due share, but if it makes it smooth to your taste then
                                                        it works for me....

                                                        "A fine whiskey is like a Beautiful woman, pretty, aromatic, and
                                                        smooth on the pallate."

                                                        Jim.

                                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
                                                        <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

                                                        > i age for bout one month till it starts to get a nice pretty
                                                        color.
                                                        > then i start to airate ? how often depends on how low my stock is.
                                                        > since when barrel aging you loose about 3% a year,i go by the same
                                                        rule
                                                        > of thumb. when my abv has dropped 9-10% i consider that a good 3yr
                                                        > aging. then i filter cut and bottle.works good just doesn't last a
                                                        long
                                                        > time. mike --- In
                                                        > new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > > Right Pint - Thats what i was trying to say... Till there aint
                                                        no
                                                        > > more to sample lol.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Jim.
                                                        > >

                                                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@>
                                                        > > wrote:
                                                        > > --snip--
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > The answer to how long for soaking wood chips is... You soak
                                                        them
                                                        > > > until you deem it finished. This might require regular
                                                        sampling.

                                                      • nenengstoute
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 31 5:44 AM
                                                          i don't know who stays drunker,my angels or my potbelly pigs!
                                                          mike ---

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 31 6:32 AM
                                                            Dang Mike,

                                                            Just please dont butcher those poor little pot belly pigs <sigh>, my
                                                            old girlfriend in Tennessee, I met on the internet keep a pot
                                                            bellied pig in her house as a pet and named it after me "James"...

                                                            -
                                                            > In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                                                            > wrote:
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Well Mike,
                                                            > >
                                                            > > As said in an earlier thread, I dont like giving those angels
                                                            more
                                                            > > then their due share, but if it makes it smooth to your taste
                                                            then
                                                            > > it works for me....
                                                            > >
                                                            > > "A fine whiskey is like a Beautiful woman, pretty, aromatic, and
                                                            > > smooth on the pallate."
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Jim.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute"
                                                            > > <nenengstoute@> wrote:
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > i age for bout one month till it starts to get a nice pretty
                                                            > > color.
                                                            > > > then i start to airate ? how often depends on how low my stock
                                                            > is.
                                                            > > > since when barrel aging you loose about 3% a year,i go by the
                                                            > same
                                                            > > rule
                                                            > > > of thumb. when my abv has dropped 9-10% i consider that a good
                                                            > 3yr
                                                            > > > aging. then i filter cut and bottle.works good just doesn't
                                                            last
                                                            > > long
                                                            > > > time. mike --- In
                                                          • Link D'Antoni
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 1, 2007
                                                              Depends on the wood used.
                                                              Bare in mind that the spirit will mellow over
                                                              time...if given the chance. I oaked some neutral in
                                                              Am Oak for three weeks. The oak taste came across
                                                              really strong. Pulled it off the oak. Six months
                                                              later the spirit was very mild. Good, but mild.
                                                              Just keep this experience in mind as you experiment.

                                                              Link

                                                              === message truncated ===

                                                              http://mail.yahoo.com