Re: [new_distillers] Re: Foreshots

  • tim smith
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi Jim
      Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

      jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
      Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
      fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
      these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
      never, never heard of that term :-).

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim

      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
      wrote:

      > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
      distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
      wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
      beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

      > blanik

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
        Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
        foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
        or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

        As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
        start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
        propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
        then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
        invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
        a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
        distillate.

        However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
        you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
        keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
        sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
        totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

        With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
        distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
        your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
        turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim

        \--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
          One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
          the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
          you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
          fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
          Jim.
        • tim smith