Re: [new_distillers] Re: My experience with Corn Meal

  • !Zapata Vive!
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
      Just wanted to add another vote for the paint straining bag.  I prefer them over the ones from the homebrew store, and many other homebrewers I know are switching to the cheaper better paint bags.

      On Oct 8, 2007, at 10:45 AM, rye_junkie wrote:

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > Paint straining bag? What's it made of? How porous? I have been
      > using a large nylon straining bag from the homebrew store. I have to
      > squeeze it pretty hard to get most of the liquid out. The fine holes
      > seem to clog up with the cornmeal slowing things down.
      >
      > Todd K.

      Todd,
      I have a couple from the brew shop as well. The paint strainer bags
      did work better however and with smaller holes. The holes are a tick
      smaller than those in a screen door and they are made of nylon. I
      bought 2 sizes, 1 gallon and 5 gallon. 2 of each were $5.00. I used
      the 5 gallon bag. The elastic opening stretched over my fermenter and
      I just poured the mash right in. Then I picked the bag up, twisted the
      top a couple of times to close it off and then just kinda rolled it
      around between my hands over the fermenter until most of the liquid
      had strained out and then squeezed the rest out. It took about 5 minutes.
      These bags seemed to be much more durable also.

      Mason

    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        Alright, So after all of this and some advice from Jim I will
        retract my original feeling of never ever again. I ran this last
        night when I got home and have to say I was quite impressed with the
        flavor. It was right up there with the flaked Maize recipes I have
        used. Cracked corn may be easier to strain and I am not sure how
        much starch you are converting from the corn meal( I added 4 lbs sugar
        and 2 pounds Dextrose to this batch) But its worth another try and at
        $2.50 for 5 lbs its pretty cheap. I may try just corn meal and malt
        with no sugar and see what I get there. I like the Idea of not adding
        any sugar, it feels more old school although I have to say that it
        would probably take the pallet of a professional taster to tell the
        difference between real pure corn whiskey and a sugar mix or maybe
        not. I am sure it has been debated heavily.

        Mason
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
          HI Jim,
          I would agree with that, if you're using an external heat source for
          the pot. If one is using internal heating elements in the pot, any of
          this "debrie" will tend to burn on to the element, ruin your day!

          Tip one, Morgan

          P.S. Hello everyone, hope you had a nice summer (or winter, what ever
          the hemi-sphere may be).

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
            Ahhhhh correct Morgan, but after talkin with Mason and showin him
            how to git all the corn meal out - and also freezing the lees out
            and knowing hes got an external heat source, its kinda safe me
            thinks. But you right - with internal heating elements ya needs to
            gits all the crap out ya can. Some do say that the yeasties will
            impart a bad flavor, but i never tasted that.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
            <morganfield1@...> wrote:

            > HI Jim,
            > I would agree with that, if you're using an external heat source
            for
            > the pot. If one is using internal heating elements in the pot, any
            of
            > this "debrie" will tend to burn on to the element, ruin your day!
            >
            > Tip one, Morgan
            >
            > P.S. Hello everyone, hope you had a nice summer (or winter, what
            ever
            > the hemi-sphere may be).
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
            > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Welp Mason, no reason to let it clear - ya aint makin wine....
            Put
            > > that stuff in da still and Let Her Rip!!!
            > > Jim.

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

              > Ahhhhh correct Morgan, but after talkin with Mason and showin him
              > how to git all the corn meal out - and also freezing the lees out
              > and knowing hes got an external heat source, its kinda safe me
              > thinks.
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              > Jim

              I use a propane fish cooker. Its faster on heat up and I feel its
              pretty safe as there is a long arm on my still. The collection jar is
              almost 5 feet from the pot. It is also almost infinitely adjustable.
              I was surprised when the run was over and I opened the still to clean
              it out how little residue was on the sides of the pot and nothing had
              settled on the bottom. I was careful with this run though to keep the
              wash stirred well during the heat up to around 150F before I put the
              cap on and hooked it all up. It probably was unnecessary and didn't
              do any good but I don't think it did any harm either. Thanks again Jim
              for all your help. Corn meal is back on the good list.

              Mason