Re: [new_distillers] Re: Foreshots

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
      Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

      blanik

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

      Powered by Outblaze
    • tim smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hi
        I only collect when the nail polish smell is gone @ 85%...run all the way down to 55-60% for malt whiskey about 91 c   ....good stuff  *g*

        sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
        Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

        blanik

        Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

        Powered by Outblaze

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
          Hi Tim, Sounds like your running a reflux still - is it? Junkie and
          I are talking pot stills.
          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
            ahh..yes Jim, i'm running a reflux unit

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
              Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

              blanik

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
                fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
                these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
                never, never heard of that term :-).

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                wrote:

                > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                > blanik
              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                  OOOOPS, I was in a hurry to visit wineries when doing that post and left half the word out. Prop = propanol.

                  blanik :)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                    Hi Jim
                    Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

                    wrote:

                    > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                    distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                    wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                    beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                    > blanik

                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                      Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
                      foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
                      or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

                      As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
                      start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
                      propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
                      then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
                      invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
                      a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
                      distillate.

                      However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
                      you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
                      keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
                      sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
                      totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

                      With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
                      distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
                      your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
                      turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                        One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
                        the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
                        you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
                        fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
                        Jim.
                      • tim smith