RE: [new_distillers] cleaning the boiler

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
      I've wondered how some of these stills get cleaned myself. Speaking to one
      supplier when doing a demo of their "Euro" still, he didn't have an answer.

      One alternative is to do what Ray has done to his keg : see
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm - he's put in a 9.25
      inch hole in the top, and has a fairly simple system to seal it.

      For a larger still, you may also want to consider putting a drain valve
      into the base of it. Something that you can lock closed, so it doesn't get
      accidentally bumped open while you've got 10 gallons of boiling wash
      inside, but to help empty it afterwards.

      If you're going to add extra tubes, put them at the very top of the column;
      see
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm for an
      explanation why. An alternative is to use a water jacket up the top, like
      Jan has - see the photos page above, or
      http://home.planet.nl/~jwdob/distilling.htm

      Tony
    • tarvus@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
        Try a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning your
        still and boiler before using. It appeared to dissolve the flux from
        the inside of my stillmaker still and gives the copper a nice shine
        in the process. I would be sure to distill several batches of water
        through your still as well to melt and flush any remaining flux
        before you run your first wash through it.

        regards!
        Tar

      • Bposs112@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
          THE TOWER TO ME SEEMS TO WORK FINE AS FAR AS COOLING THE COOLER THE WEATHER
          THE LESS WATER IF YOU RECYCLE THE WARMER THE WEATHER MORE WATER. AS FAR AS
          THE FLUX I GIVE IT WHAT I CALL A CRAP RUN. THEN RINSE THROUGHLY AFTERWARDS.
          BUT IM PRETTY NEW TO THIS MYSELF AND IM STILL LEARNING