Re: Sugar wash

    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi again Mason,

      2 things - 1. Those yeasties are a plant, after all, and need
      nutrients - just like us... white sugar based wash dont have any
      (Molasses and Dark brown sugars do - I usually add 3 lbs of Dark
      brown sugar to help for a 6 gallon wash). You need to add some
      yeast nutrients to it - read the section in Home Distillers
      on "Sugar Based Washes". 2. Yeasties perfer a somewhat acidic
      enviroment. All wine and beer making suppliers carry Acid Blend -
      which is a combination of Citric, Malic, and Tartaric Acids or you
      can just throw in a 48 oz can of Grapefruit juice or Orange Juice
      like I do. If you have Testing strips - get the ph level down to
      about 4.5 to 5.

      Good Luck,
      Jim

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
      wrote:

      > This is mainly for the newbies like myself for general "I tried it
      and
      > it works" info.
      > I have had the week off so I have played a bit with this hobby. I
      had
      > read about inverting sugar on homedistiller and decided to try
      it. I
      > boiled 2 pounds of sugar in 2 cups of water with a teaspoon of
      citric
      > acid until it took on a golden color just like it said. I did this
      > for a total of 12 pounds of sugar. I decided to ferment it in a 6
      > gallon carboy. The total wash volume with added water was 5 1/2
      > gallons with SG 1.104. I pitched Re hydrated red star Pasteur
      > Champagne yeast and six hours later, nothing. Thinking the yeast
      may
      > have been bad I siphoned off a couple of cups and warmed it in the
      > microwave and added a tablespoon of distillers yeast. I pitched
      that
      > after it was bubbling nicely and the next morning it was barely
      > bubbling through the airlock every 5 seconds. Remembering another
      > article on homedistiller about adding some grain to a sugar wash I
      put
      > a cup of malted barley in the blender to crush it good and poured
      it
      > in the carboy and stirred it up. You better have a towel under
      your
      > fermenter when you do this. Within about 2 seconds it started
      > bubbling so violently it was pushing out of the carboy. It
      subsided
      > in a few seconds and it took about 15 minutes to clean up the
      mess.
      > It is fermenting so well now that I just have a clean cloth over
      the
      > top. I don't think an airlock would stay in the thing. If
      something
      > is wrong here, Teachers please chime in.
      >
      > Mason

    • Louis Bossy
      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2012
        From some practice .
        If up have acess to yeast nutients .then use white sugar .reason is that some brown sugar especially from brazil tends to give the distilate a bitter taste.anything that is properly cleaned like white sugar is beter , just like using ripe clean fruits.
        Louisbossy

        Sent from Samsung Mobile