Re: Foreshots

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
      Well er, ummm, (cough), no worse headaches then what you'd expect
      from downing a fifth of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam... Remember this
      stuff is 1.5 times their strengh lol.

      However, some of my friends have reported some strange side effects
      from this white lightning.... These include: Finding themselves in
      weird places the next morning, with no idea how they got there -
      sometimes with no clothes on; Seeing UFOs and being abducted by
      aliens; Finding strange women in their beds - again with no idea how
      they got there; One even found a strange man there the next
      morning ???; Finding themselves lying in their front yard with all
      their clothes and belonging strewn about and a sign on the Front
      door saying "STAY OUT!!!"; along with the usual side effects from
      over indulgence ;-).

      But other then that, if consumed in appropriate amounts, its one
      dang good drink and no I dont experience headaches :-).

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
      wrote:

      > So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a
      100ml
      > or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40%
      abv?
      > No headaches with that?
      > Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
      > used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some
      of
      > this info to use on it.
      >
      > Mason
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
      > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
      > > duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
      > > though.
      > >
      > > One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
      > > below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect
      2
      > > liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
      > > which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together
      is
      > > around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
      > > distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I
      also
      > > include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the
      flavors.

      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > Jim

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
        G'day Junkie,
        I didn't say that I single run and drink, in fact I never single run. What I meant to say is that I use the temperature as a ROUGH guide to determine when to cut. All my cuts are done by taste. And, I never throw away heads, I save them as feints along with the tails for future runs. I've never had a headache from my spirits, which is a lot more than I can say about commercial spirits. Sorry if I led you up the creek.

        blanik

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
          Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

          blanik

        • tim smith
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
            Hi
            I only collect when the nail polish smell is gone @ 85%...run all the way down to 55-60% for malt whiskey about 91 c   ....good stuff  *g*

            sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
            Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

            blanik

            Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

            Powered by Outblaze

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
              Hi Tim, Sounds like your running a reflux still - is it? Junkie and
              I are talking pot stills.
              Jim.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                ahh..yes Jim, i'm running a reflux unit

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                  Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                  blanik

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                    Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
                    fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
                    these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
                    never, never heard of that term :-).

                    Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                    distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                    wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                    beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                    > blanik
                  • sonum norbu
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                      OOOOPS, I was in a hurry to visit wineries when doing that post and left half the word out. Prop = propanol.

                      blanik :)

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Hi Jim
                        Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

                        wrote:

                        > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                        distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                        wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                        beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                        > blanik

                        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                          Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
                          foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
                          or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

                          As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
                          start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
                          propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
                          then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
                          invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
                          a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
                          distillate.

                          However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
                          you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
                          keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
                          sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
                          totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

                          With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
                          distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
                          your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
                          turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                            One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
                            the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
                            you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
                            fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
                            Jim.
                          • tim smith