Sugar wash

  • rye_junkie
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 5, 2007
      This is mainly for the newbies like myself for general "I tried it and
      it works" info.
      I have had the week off so I have played a bit with this hobby. I had
      read about inverting sugar on homedistiller and decided to try it. I
      boiled 2 pounds of sugar in 2 cups of water with a teaspoon of citric
      acid until it took on a golden color just like it said. I did this
      for a total of 12 pounds of sugar. I decided to ferment it in a 6
      gallon carboy. The total wash volume with added water was 5 1/2
      gallons with SG 1.104. I pitched Re hydrated red star Pasteur
      Champagne yeast and six hours later, nothing. Thinking the yeast may
      have been bad I siphoned off a couple of cups and warmed it in the
      microwave and added a tablespoon of distillers yeast. I pitched that
      after it was bubbling nicely and the next morning it was barely
      bubbling through the airlock every 5 seconds. Remembering another
      article on homedistiller about adding some grain to a sugar wash I put
      a cup of malted barley in the blender to crush it good and poured it
      in the carboy and stirred it up. You better have a towel under your
      fermenter when you do this. Within about 2 seconds it started
      bubbling so violently it was pushing out of the carboy. It subsided
      in a few seconds and it took about 15 minutes to clean up the mess.
      It is fermenting so well now that I just have a clean cloth over the
      top. I don't think an airlock would stay in the thing. If something
      is wrong here, Teachers please chime in.

      Mason
    • Louis Bossy
      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2012
        From some practice .
        If up have acess to yeast nutients .then use white sugar .reason is that some brown sugar especially from brazil tends to give the distilate a bitter taste.anything that is properly cleaned like white sugar is beter , just like using ripe clean fruits.
        Louisbossy

        Sent from Samsung Mobile