Re: Foreshots

  • rye_junkie
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
      So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a 100ml
      or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40% abv?
      No headaches with that?
      Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
      used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some of
      this info to use on it.

      Mason

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
        Well er, ummm, (cough), no worse headaches then what you'd expect
        from downing a fifth of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam... Remember this
        stuff is 1.5 times their strengh lol.

        However, some of my friends have reported some strange side effects
        from this white lightning.... These include: Finding themselves in
        weird places the next morning, with no idea how they got there -
        sometimes with no clothes on; Seeing UFOs and being abducted by
        aliens; Finding strange women in their beds - again with no idea how
        they got there; One even found a strange man there the next
        morning ???; Finding themselves lying in their front yard with all
        their clothes and belonging strewn about and a sign on the Front
        door saying "STAY OUT!!!"; along with the usual side effects from
        over indulgence ;-).

        But other then that, if consumed in appropriate amounts, its one
        dang good drink and no I dont experience headaches :-).

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
        wrote:

        > So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a
        100ml
        > or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40%
        abv?
        > No headaches with that?
        > Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
        > used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some
        of
        > this info to use on it.
        >
        > Mason
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
        > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
        > > duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
        > > though.
        > >
        > > One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
        > > below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect
        2
        > > liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
        > > which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together
        is
        > > around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
        > > distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I
        also
        > > include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the
        flavors.

        > > Vino es Veritas,
        > > Jim

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
          G'day Junkie,
          I didn't say that I single run and drink, in fact I never single run. What I meant to say is that I use the temperature as a ROUGH guide to determine when to cut. All my cuts are done by taste. And, I never throw away heads, I save them as feints along with the tails for future runs. I've never had a headache from my spirits, which is a lot more than I can say about commercial spirits. Sorry if I led you up the creek.

          blanik

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

          Powered by Outblaze
        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
            Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

            blanik

          • tim smith
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
              Hi
              I only collect when the nail polish smell is gone @ 85%...run all the way down to 55-60% for malt whiskey about 91 c   ....good stuff  *g*

              sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
              Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

              blanik

              Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

              Powered by Outblaze

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                Hi Tim, Sounds like your running a reflux still - is it? Junkie and
                I are talking pot stills.
                Jim.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                  ahh..yes Jim, i'm running a reflux unit

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                    Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                    blanik

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                      Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
                      fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
                      these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
                      never, never heard of that term :-).

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                      distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                      wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                      beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                      > blanik
                    • sonum norbu
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                        OOOOPS, I was in a hurry to visit wineries when doing that post and left half the word out. Prop = propanol.

                        blanik :)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                          Hi Jim
                          Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

                          wrote:

                          > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                          distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                          wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                          beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                          > blanik

                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                            Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
                            foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
                            or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

                            As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
                            start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
                            propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
                            then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
                            invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
                            a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
                            distillate.

                            However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
                            you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
                            keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
                            sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
                            totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

                            With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
                            distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
                            your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
                            turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                              One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
                              the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
                              you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
                              fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
                              Jim.
                            • tim smith