Re: Cloudy tails

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi Jim, I have always found the tails of my corn whiskey to become
      cloudy when the distillate gets down below about 30% abv at a temp
      of 97 C. This is due to the higher alcohols starting to come off
      such as 1-Propanol which has a boiling point of 97C (207F) and is
      insoluble with higher % alcohols.

      "One clue that you've gone too far is if the distillate takes on a
      white/milky appearance. This is because the fusels (propyls, amyls &
      butyls) are partialy/totally insoluble with the higher %alcohols.
      You won't spot them if you keep your tails separate, as they are
      soluble within their own family in a weak ethanol solution. You may
      spot them though by seeing if a drop on the end of your finger gives
      a sun glint, and/or feels well lubricated (the old moonshiners
      trick). You may also see a slight film/slick on the surface of the
      distillate if using a clear container. If you can see them, then you
      can probably smell them too." (From Home Distillers)

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3" <jimdillus3@...>
      wrote:

      > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
      > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
      substance
      > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?

    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        I have paid closer attention on my last couple of runs and noticed
        that the distillate dripping into the glass will suddenly go from
        bubbles going down and rising back up to a oily looking substance
        pouring into the glass. Almost as if you were pouring a very light
        clear oil into it. Next time you have a drink pour some whiskey over
        ice and look through the glass, You will see that it looks a little
        oily, this is what I am seeing. Whatever it is I cut the still off
        when I see it.

        Mason

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3" <jimdillus3@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
        > > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
        > substance
        > > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?
      • tim smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          Hi
          I've collected down to almost  zero ,like 99.9c and have never seen cloudy  distilled product. I have seen cloudy product when adding water for cuts..but  using distilled water for cuts cures that problem

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
            Hi again Tim, Welp try this for an experiment - take some of your
            85% distillate, put it in a shot glass, then take some of the tails
            at 20% and mix em together - you will see it turns cloudy - milk
            colored - due to the higer alcohols such as 1-Propanol being
            insoluble with the high percentage ethanol. This is common with pot
            stills - not so much with reflux stills.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi
            > I've collected down to almost zero ,like 99.9c and have never
            seen cloudy distilled product. I have seen cloudy product when
            adding water for cuts..but using distilled water for cuts cures
            that problem

            > rye_junkie <rye_junkie@...> wrote: I
            have paid closer attention on my last couple of runs and noticed
            > that the distillate dripping into the glass will suddenly go from
            > bubbles going down and rising back up to a oily looking substance
            > pouring into the glass. Almost as if you were pouring a very
            light
            > clear oil into it. Next time you have a drink pour some whiskey
            over
            > ice and look through the glass, You will see that it looks a
            little
            > oily, this is what I am seeing. Whatever it is I cut the still
            off
            > when I see it.
            >
            > Mason
            >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3"
            <jimdillus3@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
            > > > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
            > > substance
            > > > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?

            Yahoo! FareChase.