Cloudy tails

  • jimdillus3
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
      As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
      distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the substance
      that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hi Jim, I have always found the tails of my corn whiskey to become
        cloudy when the distillate gets down below about 30% abv at a temp
        of 97 C. This is due to the higher alcohols starting to come off
        such as 1-Propanol which has a boiling point of 97C (207F) and is
        insoluble with higher % alcohols.

        "One clue that you've gone too far is if the distillate takes on a
        white/milky appearance. This is because the fusels (propyls, amyls &
        butyls) are partialy/totally insoluble with the higher %alcohols.
        You won't spot them if you keep your tails separate, as they are
        soluble within their own family in a weak ethanol solution. You may
        spot them though by seeing if a drop on the end of your finger gives
        a sun glint, and/or feels well lubricated (the old moonshiners
        trick). You may also see a slight film/slick on the surface of the
        distillate if using a clear container. If you can see them, then you
        can probably smell them too." (From Home Distillers)

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3" <jimdillus3@...>
        wrote:

        > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
        > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
        substance
        > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?

      • rye_junkie
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          I have paid closer attention on my last couple of runs and noticed
          that the distillate dripping into the glass will suddenly go from
          bubbles going down and rising back up to a oily looking substance
          pouring into the glass. Almost as if you were pouring a very light
          clear oil into it. Next time you have a drink pour some whiskey over
          ice and look through the glass, You will see that it looks a little
          oily, this is what I am seeing. Whatever it is I cut the still off
          when I see it.

          Mason

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3" <jimdillus3@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
          > > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
          > substance
          > > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?
        • tim smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
            Hi
            I've collected down to almost  zero ,like 99.9c and have never seen cloudy  distilled product. I have seen cloudy product when adding water for cuts..but  using distilled water for cuts cures that problem

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
              Hi again Tim, Welp try this for an experiment - take some of your
              85% distillate, put it in a shot glass, then take some of the tails
              at 20% and mix em together - you will see it turns cloudy - milk
              colored - due to the higer alcohols such as 1-Propanol being
              insoluble with the high percentage ethanol. This is common with pot
              stills - not so much with reflux stills.

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi
              > I've collected down to almost zero ,like 99.9c and have never
              seen cloudy distilled product. I have seen cloudy product when
              adding water for cuts..but using distilled water for cuts cures
              that problem

              > rye_junkie <rye_junkie@...> wrote: I
              have paid closer attention on my last couple of runs and noticed
              > that the distillate dripping into the glass will suddenly go from
              > bubbles going down and rising back up to a oily looking substance
              > pouring into the glass. Almost as if you were pouring a very
              light
              > clear oil into it. Next time you have a drink pour some whiskey
              over
              > ice and look through the glass, You will see that it looks a
              little
              > oily, this is what I am seeing. Whatever it is I cut the still
              off
              > when I see it.
              >
              > Mason
              >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimdillus3"
              <jimdillus3@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > As I understand it, sometimes while collecting tails during a
              > > > distillation run, the distillate can turn cloudy. What is the
              > > substance
              > > > that is responsible for the cloudyness? How is it minimized?

              Yahoo! FareChase.