Re: Foreshots

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
      Cuts are done in the last run, the third one in this case. You just
      loose good alcohol by cutting off foreshots each run. Those big
      distilleries in Scotland do not separate foreshots, they just cut off
      heads and dump it all back to the next batch of low wines. Eventually
      this recycling of heads should cause the situation where the results
      are the same as if there were no heads cut at all. I actually tested
      this theory by making a batch of whiskey where I didn't cut off heads
      and it turned out amazingly good.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't even bother with foreshots, heads, tails and all that on
      > the first run. Just collect everything until its too slow and watery
      > to justify running it any more. On your next runs is where you should
      > focus on the cuts. I only double distill, so in your case (triple) I
      > can't offer much advice on what to take out where on the second and
      > third runs. But by all means, the first run is just stripping, plain
      > and simple.
      >
      > Todd K.

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
        Agreed todd. I collect everything down to 30abv during my first run and save the cutting for the second. I save the heads and tails from the second run for my feints next time.

        Harry has some really interesting stuff on this but I can't find it. Over to you Harry. :)

        blanik

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
          I found the same thing James. I have my meat cooking thermometer at the crown of the my kettle and have become so accustomed to my still's behaviour I've marked a green area on the rim so a quick glance tells me that it's getting roughly close to taste cutting time. I would never rely on temp for cuts

          So simple. :)

          blanik

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
            Hi Riku, That's what I was referring to earlier and asked for Harry to help. I don't understand why it happens, but it does. :)

            blanik

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
              Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
              duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
              though.

              One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
              below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect 2
              liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
              which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together is
              around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
              distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I also
              include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the flavors.

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

              --------snip My still is
              > > a 2.5 gallon and i only do 6 liters at a time and expect about 2
              > > liters at a 24% abv with a cutoff at 40% abv which is at 96 C and
              > > about a 30% cutoff. The percents for cuts I use are:
              > > 3.1% Foreshots;
              > > 17.4% Heads;
              > > 57.1% Hearts (Middle run);
              > > 22.4% Tails.
              > >
              > > So for a 6 liter run, I throw out the first 100 mL or so of
              > > distillation. It is not necessary do do this again for the 2nd
              or
              > > 3rd Distillations. I've never done a 3rd distill the way I do
              it.
              > > Usually just do a single since Ive found it to loss some flavors
              > > with not much increase in smoothness, on the second and have to
              > > water it down anyways since its so strong.
            • rye_junkie
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a 100ml
                or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40% abv?
                No headaches with that?
                Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
                used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some of
                this info to use on it.

                Mason

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                  Well er, ummm, (cough), no worse headaches then what you'd expect
                  from downing a fifth of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam... Remember this
                  stuff is 1.5 times their strengh lol.

                  However, some of my friends have reported some strange side effects
                  from this white lightning.... These include: Finding themselves in
                  weird places the next morning, with no idea how they got there -
                  sometimes with no clothes on; Seeing UFOs and being abducted by
                  aliens; Finding strange women in their beds - again with no idea how
                  they got there; One even found a strange man there the next
                  morning ???; Finding themselves lying in their front yard with all
                  their clothes and belonging strewn about and a sign on the Front
                  door saying "STAY OUT!!!"; along with the usual side effects from
                  over indulgence ;-).

                  But other then that, if consumed in appropriate amounts, its one
                  dang good drink and no I dont experience headaches :-).

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim

                  wrote:

                  > So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a
                  100ml
                  > or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40%
                  abv?
                  > No headaches with that?
                  > Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
                  > used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some
                  of
                  > this info to use on it.
                  >
                  > Mason
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                  > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
                  > > duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
                  > > though.
                  > >
                  > > One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
                  > > below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect
                  2
                  > > liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
                  > > which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together
                  is
                  > > around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
                  > > distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I
                  also
                  > > include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the
                  flavors.

                  > > Vino es Veritas,
                  > > Jim

                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                    G'day Junkie,
                    I didn't say that I single run and drink, in fact I never single run. What I meant to say is that I use the temperature as a ROUGH guide to determine when to cut. All my cuts are done by taste. And, I never throw away heads, I save them as feints along with the tails for future runs. I've never had a headache from my spirits, which is a lot more than I can say about commercial spirits. Sorry if I led you up the creek.

                    blanik

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

                      blanik

                    • tim smith
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                        Hi
                        I only collect when the nail polish smell is gone @ 85%...run all the way down to 55-60% for malt whiskey about 91 c   ....good stuff  *g*

                        sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
                        Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

                        blanik

                        Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

                        Powered by Outblaze

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                          Hi Tim, Sounds like your running a reflux still - is it? Junkie and
                          I are talking pot stills.
                          Jim.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                            ahh..yes Jim, i'm running a reflux unit

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                              Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                              blanik

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
                                fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
                                these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
                                never, never heard of that term :-).

                                wrote:

                                > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                                distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                                wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                                beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                                > blanik
                              • sonum norbu
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                  OOOOPS, I was in a hurry to visit wineries when doing that post and left half the word out. Prop = propanol.

                                  blanik :)

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                                    Hi Jim
                                    Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                                    distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                                    wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                                    beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                                    > blanik

                                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                                      Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
                                      foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
                                      or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

                                      As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
                                      start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
                                      propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
                                      then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
                                      invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
                                      a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
                                      distillate.

                                      However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
                                      you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
                                      keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
                                      sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
                                      totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

                                      With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
                                      distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
                                      your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
                                      turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                                        One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
                                        the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
                                        you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
                                        fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
                                        Jim.
                                      • tim smith