Foreshots

  • rye_junkie
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hello List,
      As I have mentioned in the past I use a potstill to distill all of my
      product. I am contemplating building a reflux still but I pretty much
      just make whiskey so I don't know if it is necessary. My question
      regards foreshots. I have started triple distilling my whiskey. On my
      first run I start collecting at 175 deg. Everything before that drips
      into a shot glass and is trashed. The second and third run are pretty
      much the same but I still have alot of distillate coming out before
      172. Is this common with second and third runs? I would have thought
      after the first run you would be done with the low temperature stuff
      (162F-172F).

      Mason
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
        I wouldn't even bother with foreshots, heads, tails and all that on
        the first run. Just collect everything until its too slow and watery
        to justify running it any more. On your next runs is where you should
        focus on the cuts. I only double distill, so in your case (triple) I
        can't offer much advice on what to take out where on the second and
        third runs. But by all means, the first run is just stripping, plain
        and simple.

        Todd K.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi Mason,

          My pot still did the same thing with my corn whiskey, but several
          factors can influence this. Some are: The Size and Shape of your
          still; PLacement of the Thermometer amd its accuracy; Lenght of Lyne
          Arm; Strength of your starting Mash and Startup Temperature.

          When my lyne arm was about 3 ft. long, I had the thermometer placed
          right before the condenser. Distllate started comming out around
          178 - 180 F (81 C) with the electric burner on high (about 1500
          watts), then turned it down to medium (about 750 watts). I figured
          this was due to some cooling taking place (and some reflux) between
          the pot head and condenser. Another reason, is the abv of the
          starting mash. I first freeze mine then distill it so im starting
          off with about a 24% mash (from 13%). If you lets say, start out
          with a 14% mash, this will start comming off at a higher
          temperature.

          However, when i increased the lengh of my lyne arm, ~~ 5 feet to get
          it closer the the sink, I moved the themometer to the Dome of the
          boiler and noticed that the distillate was comming out almost right
          in line with the expected abv after the initial startup on high heat
          and turning it down to medium. (even though i was still getting the
          inital spike of distillation at startup). At 86 C to 89 C i was
          getting about a 70% abv for the first 600 mL and about a 65% abv
          till about 91 C for the next 400 mL, etc.

          One thing to mention is that temperature is not a good way to judge
          cutoff points. Its much better to have a parrot head with an
          alcoholometer, or sample every 300 mL that come off, which is how i
          do it - along with taste and smell (and no i dont spit it out ;-).
          However, after doing about 15 runs using the same recipe i can tell
          now by temperature when to make the cuts since its so consistent.

          As far as Foreshots go - again it Depends on the Pot size. Mine is
          a 2.5 gallon and i only do 6 liters at a time and expect about 2
          liters at a 24% abv with a cutoff at 40% abv which is at 96 C and
          about a 30% cutoff. The percents for cuts I use are:
          3.1% Foreshots;
          17.4% Heads;
          57.1% Hearts (Middle run);
          22.4% Tails.

          So for a 6 liter run, I throw out the first 100 mL or so of
          distillation. It is not necessary do do this again for the 2nd or
          3rd Distillations. I've never done a 3rd distill the way I do it.
          Usually just do a single since Ive found it to loss some flavors
          with not much increase in smoothness, on the second and have to
          water it down anyways since its so strong.

          Hope this helped and not confused lol,
          Jim

          wrote:

          > Hello List,
          > As I have mentioned in the past I use a potstill to distill all of
          my
          > product. I am contemplating building a reflux still but I pretty
          much
          > just make whiskey so I don't know if it is necessary. My question
          > regards foreshots. I have started triple distilling my whiskey. On
          my
          > first run I start collecting at 175 deg. Everything before that
          drips
          > into a shot glass and is trashed. The second and third run are
          pretty
          > much the same but I still have alot of distillate coming out
          before
          > 172. Is this common with second and third runs? I would have
          thought
          > after the first run you would be done with the low temperature
          stuff
          > (162F-172F).
          >
          > Mason

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
            Cuts are done in the last run, the third one in this case. You just
            loose good alcohol by cutting off foreshots each run. Those big
            distilleries in Scotland do not separate foreshots, they just cut off
            heads and dump it all back to the next batch of low wines. Eventually
            this recycling of heads should cause the situation where the results
            are the same as if there were no heads cut at all. I actually tested
            this theory by making a batch of whiskey where I didn't cut off heads
            and it turned out amazingly good.

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

            > I wouldn't even bother with foreshots, heads, tails and all that on
            > the first run. Just collect everything until its too slow and watery
            > to justify running it any more. On your next runs is where you should
            > focus on the cuts. I only double distill, so in your case (triple) I
            > can't offer much advice on what to take out where on the second and
            > third runs. But by all means, the first run is just stripping, plain
            > and simple.
            >
            > Todd K.

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
              Agreed todd. I collect everything down to 30abv during my first run and save the cutting for the second. I save the heads and tails from the second run for my feints next time.

              Harry has some really interesting stuff on this but I can't find it. Over to you Harry. :)

              blanik

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

              Powered by Outblaze
            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                I found the same thing James. I have my meat cooking thermometer at the crown of the my kettle and have become so accustomed to my still's behaviour I've marked a green area on the rim so a quick glance tells me that it's getting roughly close to taste cutting time. I would never rely on temp for cuts

                So simple. :)

                blanik

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Hi Riku, That's what I was referring to earlier and asked for Harry to help. I don't understand why it happens, but it does. :)

                  blanik

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
                    duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
                    though.

                    One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
                    below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect 2
                    liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
                    which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together is
                    around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
                    distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I also
                    include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the flavors.

                    Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

                    --------snip My still is

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                      So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a 100ml
                      or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40% abv?
                      No headaches with that?
                      Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
                      used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some of
                      this info to use on it.

                      Mason

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                        Well er, ummm, (cough), no worse headaches then what you'd expect
                        from downing a fifth of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam... Remember this
                        stuff is 1.5 times their strengh lol.

                        However, some of my friends have reported some strange side effects
                        from this white lightning.... These include: Finding themselves in
                        weird places the next morning, with no idea how they got there -
                        sometimes with no clothes on; Seeing UFOs and being abducted by
                        aliens; Finding strange women in their beds - again with no idea how
                        they got there; One even found a strange man there the next
                        morning ???; Finding themselves lying in their front yard with all
                        their clothes and belonging strewn about and a sign on the Front
                        door saying "STAY OUT!!!"; along with the usual side effects from
                        over indulgence ;-).

                        But other then that, if consumed in appropriate amounts, its one
                        dang good drink and no I dont experience headaches :-).

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim

                        wrote:

                        > So you are saying that you single run your whiskey, Throw out a
                        100ml
                        > or so of foreshots and keep the rest for consumption down to 40%
                        abv?
                        > No headaches with that?
                        > Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies on this. I have a batch I
                        > used cornmeal in that is almost ready to freeze. I will put some
                        of
                        > this info to use on it.
                        >
                        > Mason
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                        > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yes it seems to work for my corn whiskey recipe which i have
                        > > duplicated many times. Have not tried it for a different recipe
                        > > though.
                        > >
                        > > One thing i need to clarify in my response to Mason was the snip
                        > > below... What I ment to say was that on a 6 liter run I expect
                        2
                        > > liters out of a starting mash abv of 24% with a cutoff at 40% abv
                        > > which is at 96 C. The abv of the 2 liters when mixed together
                        is
                        > > around 60% not 24%, which is strong enough for me without a 2nd
                        > > distill. (was typing too fast :-). BTW as Riku pointed out, I
                        also
                        > > include my heads in these 2 liters, finding they add to the
                        flavors.

                        > > Vino es Veritas,
                        > > Jim

                      • sonum norbu
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                          G'day Junkie,
                          I didn't say that I single run and drink, in fact I never single run. What I meant to say is that I use the temperature as a ROUGH guide to determine when to cut. All my cuts are done by taste. And, I never throw away heads, I save them as feints along with the tails for future runs. I've never had a headache from my spirits, which is a lot more than I can say about commercial spirits. Sorry if I led you up the creek.

                          blanik

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                            Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

                            blanik

                          • tim smith
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                              Hi
                              I only collect when the nail polish smell is gone @ 85%...run all the way down to 55-60% for malt whiskey about 91 c   ....good stuff  *g*

                              sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
                              Done all of those, James but usually after the second bottle of Tequilla, store bought of course. :) :) :)

                              blanik

                              Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

                              Powered by Outblaze

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 5, 2007
                                Hi Tim, Sounds like your running a reflux still - is it? Junkie and
                                I are talking pot stills.
                                Jim.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                  ahh..yes Jim, i'm running a reflux unit

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                    Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                                    blanik

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                      Hey Blanik, I know im a newbie here and know a bit about wines,
                                      fermenting, corn wiskey and pot stills. Also have done much reading on
                                      these subjects. But, my question is: What the heck is (are) "prop"
                                      never, never heard of that term :-).

                                      wrote:

                                      > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                                      distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                                      wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                                      beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                                      > blanik
                                    • sonum norbu
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                        OOOOPS, I was in a hurry to visit wineries when doing that post and left half the word out. Prop = propanol.

                                        blanik :)

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                                          Hi Jim
                                          Getting back to the cloudy product...when i do a stripping run with my reflux column,I collect everything starting at 90% right down to 5%,and i never get a cloudy product...so I'm not sure what the problem is   tim

                                          wrote:

                                          > Hmmmm, I usually go down to a strong proponol smell for my first
                                          distillations and collect everything until I have five gallons of low
                                          wine, then slowly distill down to the beginning of prop and just go
                                          beyond there. Usually 40 abv. I like the taste with a bit of prop.

                                          > blanik

                                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                                            Hi Tim, Ok lets run this through again. When you Distill through the
                                            foreshots, heads and hearts, you keep what you want to drink (this may
                                            or may not include some tails depending on what your making).

                                            As you get into the tails at higher temps, the Fusels alcohols will
                                            start comming out in the distillate. These include: 1-propanol, 2-
                                            propanol, amyl alcohol and butanol which have higher boiling points
                                            then ethanol and are called fusels or high alcohols. These are
                                            invisible in a weak ethanol solution, but are oily to the touch, have
                                            a distinct oder and sometimes show up as an oil slick on top of the
                                            distillate.

                                            However, (again this is more common with pot stills then reflux) if
                                            you cut off at around 40% or higher abv for your drinking stuff, and
                                            keep collecting ethanol and these fusels, the distillate will
                                            sometimes turn cloudy due the fusels being partially insoluable or
                                            totally insoluable in higher concentrations of ethanol.

                                            With a reflux still this seldom occurs since most of the ethanol is
                                            distilled out up front. If you want to try an experiment, take some of
                                            your heads, and mix these with some tails - you will see the solution
                                            turn cloudy or milky white due to the above.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 9, 2007
                                              One more thing Tim, if your doing a stripping run and taking out all
                                              the alcohols at once - down to just water, with out doing cuts, then
                                              you will not see this cloudiness due the small percentage of the
                                              fusels in relation to the total amount of distillate.
                                              Jim.
                                            • tim smith