anyone do this?

  • subw_eng
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
      http://www.homedistiller.org/image/drawing_01%20simple%20updraft%20SU.jpg

      This looks apealing to me, 'cause of it's how easy it is to build, but
      I've searched and can't find anyone that's built it. Anyone have
      feedback on this design? My plan is 30" of packing under the head.
    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
        Message
        Seems a bit complex, compared to his later(?) slanted plate design.

        --

        Brendan Keith

        bkeith@...

        This looks apealing to me, 'cause of it's how easy it is to build, but
        I've searched and can't find anyone that's built it. Anyone have
        feedback on this design? My plan is 30" of packing under the head.

      • Lloyd Edwards - Houston IronWorks
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
          I, too, have looked at this one and think it would be great if possible to build. My concern is getting the 1/4" soft copper coil outside the condenser shell, that is the warm and cold water connections. The bend is not possible, at least not for me, as it would crimp completely water tight - not what you would want. So I figure perhaps you cut and solder a short piece on at 90 degrees? Also not so good as the heat necessary to solder the tubing to the shell would melt the solder at the 90 degree joint that is so close to the shell. Perhaps I am missing something here but I cannot get past this one spot in the design.

          LE

          This looks apealing to me, 'cause of it's how easy it is to build, but
          I've searched and can't find anyone that's built it. Anyone have
          feedback on this design? My plan is 30" of packing under the head.

        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
            Hi,
            I believe that the coil can be inserted into a 3inch tube. If you wind 1/4inch tube around a 2inch pipe you will have just less than a 1/2inch to play with. I have made cooling management columns with this tolerance. Anyway it is not written in stone that you should use a 2inch tube as mandrel, use something a little less and stuff with knitted copper.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              There's one weak spot in that design. Vapors and reflux must pass
              inbetween those coils. In practise this means that those coils must
              be pretty far spaced or the system will choke. I suggest you do the
              double coil and use one of Alex's easier and well proven inline
              designs.

              Cheers, Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Edwards - Houston
              IronWorks" <1@...> wrote:

              > I, too, have looked at this one and think it would be great if
              possible to build. My concern is getting the 1/4" soft copper coil
              outside the condenser shell, that is the warm and cold water
              connections. The bend is not possible, at least not for me, as it
              would crimp completely water tight - not what you would want. So I
              figure perhaps you cut and solder a short piece on at 90 degrees?
              Also not so good as the heat necessary to solder the tubing to the
              shell would melt the solder at the 90 degree joint that is so close
              to the shell. Perhaps I am missing something here but I cannot get
              past this one spot in the design.

              > LE

            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
                Hi Riku,
                I agree with you on this one. The easiest to build is a simple straight coupler with a disc with a hole in the centre soldered to the stop in the middle of the coupler. This forms a cup which one can easily attach a product takeoff and one could also put a vapour takeoff in the bottom section which would give VM and LM.

                IronWorks" <1@...> wrote:

                > I, too, have looked at this one and think it would be great if
                possible to build. My concern is getting the 1/4" soft copper coil
                outside the condenser shell, that is the warm and cold water
                connections. The bend is not possible, at least not for me, as it
                would crimp completely water tight - not what you would want. So I
                figure perhaps you cut and solder a short piece on at 90 degrees?
                Also not so good as the heat necessary to solder the tubing to the
                shell would melt the solder at the 90 degree joint that is so close
                to the shell. Perhaps I am missing something here but I cannot get
                past this one spot in the design.

                > LE

                Regards
                Joe

              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007

                  I would tend to think the biggest problem with this design in practical use would be at the 3” to 2” reducer. It would need soldering at both joints to stop the ethanol from leaking out. Consequently the cold input would also need to be soldered, which means the unit cannot be stripped down to clean etc. Never monkey around with hot ethanol or you may turn into a baBoom.

                  Yours in Spirit

                  RobertN