cleaning the boiler

  • kevins_hobby@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
      Hi all, I am new and have just started with the stillmaker design. I
      use a half barrel keg for a boiler, and was wondering if it is
      necessary to fabricate another opening or if the 2 inch hole in the
      center would be ok for cleaning. Any suggestions on proper cleaning
      with a small opening would be appreciated. I have seen many stills
      which have this small opening, but have not seen any postings on
      cleaning. Also, I have used lead free solder and flux, and have
      noticed that some flux has been running down the inside of the
      tubing. What would be the best way to insure that I dont come up
      with off flavors from the flux? As you can tell I am still in the
      construction stages, and would like to know more about Robs
      modifications as far as column cooling tube distances and did you
      ever come up with a way to decrease water useage by increasing head
      cooling???
      Someone mentioned adding more tubes, if so what would be the best
      place to install??? Any info on these matters would be appreciated.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
        I've wondered how some of these stills get cleaned myself. Speaking to one
        supplier when doing a demo of their "Euro" still, he didn't have an answer.

        One alternative is to do what Ray has done to his keg : see
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm - he's put in a 9.25
        inch hole in the top, and has a fairly simple system to seal it.

        For a larger still, you may also want to consider putting a drain valve
        into the base of it. Something that you can lock closed, so it doesn't get
        accidentally bumped open while you've got 10 gallons of boiling wash
        inside, but to help empty it afterwards.

        If you're going to add extra tubes, put them at the very top of the column;
        see
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm for an
        explanation why. An alternative is to use a water jacket up the top, like
        Jan has - see the photos page above, or
        http://home.planet.nl/~jwdob/distilling.htm

        Tony
      • tarvus@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
          Try a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning your
          still and boiler before using. It appeared to dissolve the flux from
          the inside of my stillmaker still and gives the copper a nice shine
          in the process. I would be sure to distill several batches of water
          through your still as well to melt and flush any remaining flux
          before you run your first wash through it.

          regards!
          Tar

        • Bposs112@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
            THE TOWER TO ME SEEMS TO WORK FINE AS FAR AS COOLING THE COOLER THE WEATHER
            THE LESS WATER IF YOU RECYCLE THE WARMER THE WEATHER MORE WATER. AS FAR AS
            THE FLUX I GIVE IT WHAT I CALL A CRAP RUN. THEN RINSE THROUGHLY AFTERWARDS.
            BUT IM PRETTY NEW TO THIS MYSELF AND IM STILL LEARNING