Re: boka construction started...but

  • sn_cur
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7 10:49 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tracker0945" <tracker0945@...> wrote:

      > I was also worried a little about the same problem of the open top and
      > possible vapour escape, so what I have done is to place part of a pot
      > scrubber in the column, within and around the very top of the condenser
      > just to make sure that if any vapour did venture that high, the
      > scrubber should catch it. It should also help out if any stray breeze
      > comes my way.
      > Haven't tried it yet but won't be long now, just have to finish my
      > boiler

      That will work fine. A lot of distillers do that.

      sn
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7 11:58 PM
        Well, the point is that the pipe does not have to be submerged
        entirely. It is enough that only part of the pipe opening is below
        the liquid level - enough to ensure liquid flow to the valve. That
        allows using smaller liquid reservoir which has been shown to have
        many benefits. It is also a good idea to have the valve as close to
        reservoir as possible, this minimizes the liquid amount in the pipe.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Riku,
        > I don't know if what you are saying is true or not
        > because I'm no still designer. Alex warned me that the
        > take-off tube needed to be below the liquid level and
        > since he designed it I just took his word for it. I
        > just mindlessly followed what he said cause I didn't
        > know enough to question him. My columns work very well
        > the way they are so I was just passing it along.
        >
        > There are so many things I don't do well but I follow
        > instructions to the letter.
        >
        > When I built my column I didn't have any copper plate
        > to use so I cut a short section of 2 inch copper pipe
        > in half and hammered it out flat, it worked pretty
        > well.
        >
        > Have fun and be safe,
        > Tony
        >
        > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Not really. It is actually beneficial to minimize
        > > the volume in that
        > > liquid reservoir. Less mixing of heads and sharper
        > > cut. You just have
        > > to make sure that liquid flows to needle valve and
        > > minimize the volume
        > > of liquid above the valve.
        > >
        > > Cheers, Riku

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8 12:02 AM
          Nope, the valve opening needs to be submerged. The valve is normally
          below the actual reservoir so it is enough to just provide liquid
          flow to the valve. Then again, vapor can flow through if you are
          running your still too fast.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>
          wrote:

          > The take off exit hole would need to be submerged, otherwise you'd
          get
          > vapour coming out that tube.
          >
          > However, the lower the angle, the less volume will be trapped,
          which will
          > minimize comingling of different fractions.
          >
          > A simply bit of trig will decide the optimal angle, based on a 3mm
          hole and
          > a plate 27mm across.
          >
          > 16 degrees?
          >
          > --
          >
          > Brendan Keith
          >
          > bkeith@...

        • Tony T
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8 10:07 AM
            Riku,
            Thanks for explaining that. What you said makes
            perfect sense. I think I will rebuild the top of my 4
            foot column with a lower angle and move the valve
            placement a bit closer to the bottom of the plate
            (it's about 3 inches away now).

            I'm getting 95% stuff now and I know that little
            things make a huge difference when you get up to the
            higher percentages so this may just be the ticket.
            From your description above I'm leaving several ml of
            un-refluxed (or lightly refluxed) liquid in the plate
            and take-off tube.

            It took a very long time for me to get my first still
            to do any better than 93% and it was small details
            that helped me get the last 2%. Things like making
            sure the returned liquid goes down the center of the
            packing and not channel to one side or the other. Even
            keeping the liquid moving down the center of the
            column requires little things like the column being
            level and the packing being even and not to tight. I
            can see where reducing the volume at the plate and
            valve could be a good thing ------ Thanks Riku you
            guys are so smart.

            --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            > Well, the point is that the pipe does not have to be
            > submerged
            > entirely. It is enough that only part of the pipe
            > opening is below
            > the liquid level - enough to ensure liquid flow to
            > the valve. That
            > allows using smaller liquid reservoir which has been
            > shown to have
            > many benefits. It is also a good idea to have the
            > valve as close to
            > reservoir as possible, this minimizes the liquid
            > amount in the pipe.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
          • Allan R Newton
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8 5:03 PM
              I was a little worried when I built mine, I only used 2 mtrs 6 mm copper coil so I checked the temp of the the air as it exited the column . It was about 40 c if my memory is correct 1000 watt power
              Allan

              tracker0945 <tracker0945@...> wrote:
              I was also worried a little about the same problem of the open top and
              possible vapour escape, so what I have done is to place part of a pot
              scrubber in the column, within and around the very top of the condenser
              just to make sure that if any vapour did venture that high, the
              scrubber should catch it. It should also help out if any stray breeze
              comes my way.
              Haven't tried it yet but won't be long now, just have to finish my
              boiler

              Got a little couch potato?