Re: Stupid Question

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David and Melissa"
      <crest101@...> wrote:

      > I have been home brewing for years and am now turning my attention to
      > making my own absinthe. All recipes I have come across call for using
      > either grain or grape neutral spirits macerated with the appropriate
      > herbs and then distilled. My question is, can a counter top water
      > distiller be used for this?

      My first instinct is to say no, but I don't quite know pertinent
      details of this distiller. How is it filled? Is there just a small
      opening to pour water in, or does the entire top come off? Is the
      inside plumbed with copper pipe/tubing, or is there plastic anywhere
      in the process (most concerned about in the path of the vapor)?

      First off, to do absinthe properly, you start with your base spirit
      (grape, grain, sugar...I find little difference) and you will add your
      first herbs. Depending on the recipe, you may let them macerate for a
      while or you might fire off the batch right away. Either way, you'll
      need to get the herbs in with the alcohol WHILE distilling. It won't
      be the same if you macerate and then filter out the herbs and distill
      the filtered alcohol. Also, since you're starting with a rather strong
      concentration of alcohol, the resulting distillate initially comes out
      quite potent (starts around 90% depending on your heat input). This
      concentration will destroy any plastic tubing in your apparatus
      (though silicone might hold up). However, it does come out intensely
      flavored which is why I don't find much difference with the different
      styles of base spirit...any subtle difference are heavily masked.

      I'd recommend assembling a simple pot still and use that.
      Trid