RE: [new_distillers] Lag Time

  • Dave and Janelle
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007

      I have distilled a wash after it had been sitting for 2 years and it was fine.

      Actually I had three one smelled like vinager so I dumped it.

      The other 2 smelled like the regular wine (ish) smell.

      No problem at all

      >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
      >days is acceptable?? ?

    • just me
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this and this is the first time I have heard of camden tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking. thanks.

        life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          At 06:45 PM 09/03/2007, you wrote:
          >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few days
          >is acceptable???

          I didn't get around to running one for six months, recently, and it
          distilled just fine. I have another which I meant to get to, and has been
          sitting for about two months... hopefully it won't sit quite so long...
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
            The campden is to sterilize from unwanteds AFTER
            fermentation is complete. Usually I do that a month
            after as I would with wine especially if i'm unsure
            when the wine/wash will be consumed/used.

            Link

            --- just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

            > why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish
            > fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the
            > benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this
            > and this is the first time I have heard of camden
            > tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking.
            > thanks.
            >

            > life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222