RE: [new_distillers] Lag Time

  • Dave and Janelle
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007

      I have distilled a wash after it had been sitting for 2 years and it was fine.

      Actually I had three one smelled like vinager so I dumped it.

      The other 2 smelled like the regular wine (ish) smell.

      No problem at all

      >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
      >days is acceptable?? ?

    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        A sugar wash is, plain and simple, a sugar wine.
        I will be running a 7 gallon sugar wash this weekend
        that was fermented 6 months ago. I've racked and
        added campden (sodium metabisulfite) after a month as
        I would any other wine.

        Link

        --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

        > A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it
        > off the sediment into another air tight container.
        >
        > If the alcohol content is over 12% or so, without
        > yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for
        > months, even years.
        >
        > Brian B.

      • just me
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this and this is the first time I have heard of camden tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking. thanks.

          life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            At 06:45 PM 09/03/2007, you wrote:
            >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few days
            >is acceptable???

            I didn't get around to running one for six months, recently, and it
            distilled just fine. I have another which I meant to get to, and has been
            sitting for about two months... hopefully it won't sit quite so long...
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
              The campden is to sterilize from unwanteds AFTER
              fermentation is complete. Usually I do that a month
              after as I would with wine especially if i'm unsure
              when the wine/wash will be consumed/used.

              Link

              --- just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

              > why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish
              > fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the
              > benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this
              > and this is the first time I have heard of camden
              > tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking.
              > thanks.
              >

              > life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

              Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222